300. win mag vs 300 RUM

matt_3479

This rifle will be built for shots up too 800 yards and closer! 800 yards is my max range. This rifle will be a range rifle, practice but will also be a hunting rifle. I dont want a break due to noise which is one main reason i am leaning towards the RUM. What is peoples opinions on these two calibers?

Well you're thinking is backwards. The Rum is going to be louder and have more recoil all things being equal.

As for noise being a factor put a Shrewd Varmint Brake or Gentry Quiet brake on whatever you choose and you'll be a much happier shooter.

Realistically are you planning to shoot anything bigger, heavier, or tougher to penetrate than deer? If not the 300wm is the wiser choice if 800yds is your max range.

Throw bears, hogs, elk into the mix and I'd say go with the Rum.

You won't however enjoy shooting either of them a lot without a brake unless you have zero recoil sensitivity.

If 800 yards is the fartherest that you will be shooting, I would go with the 300 win mag. Without a brake on the gun, the RUM can be a beast for many people to shoot for multiple shots. The 300 win mag will not be bad on you for multiple shots if it doesn't have a break. If you are going to use the gun for target shooting then you are better off going with the 300 win mag as well. This is because extended amounts of shooting with a 300 RUM will wear the barrel out fast but not so much with the 300 win mag. For everything you are wanting to do with your gun, the choice is the 300 win mag every time.

300 Win Mag with 210 or 230 Bergers. This is my main carry rifle and it has taken numberous elk out to 800 yrds. In good conditions I would have no issues taking an elk at 1000, but hat is where I draw the line for elk and a 300.

You mentioned this will also be a range rifle. The barrel of a 300 win will out last a RUM many times over. And you will appreciate the saving in ammo.

Here is the last Bull taken with my 300 win at 643 yrds with one 210 Berger, he stumbled 25 or 30 yards and was dead.

PART_1319506322849Small-1.jpg

Add one more vote for the win mag, better reloading components, cheaper, will do what your wanting out to a 1000yrds, and 250-300fps for a given barrel length is not worth it only lasting 1/4 of the rounds the win mag will.

Sorry i didn't mean to say the rum. I meant im leaning towards the Win Mag for reasons stated before i have just had a few people question my decision. I really dont want a muzzle brake due to noise, and i currently shoot a light weight 300. wsm with ease so a medium weight (10-14lbs) 300. win mag will be more then capable and saves on noise, powder, barrel and should still do the job at 800 yards

I have a tkka t3 light for your exact purpose. It weighs 7 1/2 pounds scoped out with a bipod. Recoil is no problem in this rifle without a brake. I shoot 180 grain .6 bc C21 cutting edge bullets at over 3300 fps. I can easily make dead on one shot kills with it to your 800 yards. Longest shot this year was a caribou at 922 yards. It is a pleasure to carry it all day hunting.

Don,

you are getting 3300 fps with a 180 CE in a 300 win? thats incredible! Maybe im missing something with these CE bullets? is the bore rider the only part of the bullet that is groove diameter thus enabling extreme velocity increase? seems like a lot to me but I am all ears sounds awesome

I really dont want a muzzle brake due to noise, and i currently shoot a light weight 300. wsm with ease so a medium weight (10-14lbs) 300. win mag will be more then capable and saves on noise, powder, barrel and should still do the job at 800 yards

What's wrong with whatcha shoot now?
The added increase in noise to the shooter amounts to nothing when you have on hearing protection.:D

What's wrong with whatcha shoot now?
The added increase in noise to the shooter amounts to nothing when you have on hearing protection.:D

I have never been one for hearing protection. I know its smart i just either forget it or simply just dont care which i completely do not recommend to anyone! This year i fired my first braked rifle being a 30-378 weatherby mag with a brake and i thought i was deaf!! never felt anything like that before. Now i dont want to have to worry about that if i forget hearing protection.

Now the rifle i have now is a 300. wsm Browning A-Bolt FLD Hunter. Now as a hunting rifle, its beautiful! its very accurate! I am getting about 3/4 moa out too about 300 yards. and about 1 moa or better if i do my part past that till about 500 yards. anything past that and it opens up a little. I want something more accurate. anything that will require super long hikes, shorter shots i will be taking this but i want my first custom.

I also have a very accurate 7mm Rem Mag Remington 700 BDL and this is the rifle im sending in to be turned into a custom. I Choose a 300. win mag over the 7mm mag only because the larger diameter bullet (210 VDL 30 cal) versus (180 vld .284) for moose

Matt, you really, really need to think about regular ear protection!!! I'm no where near being an old man yet and my hearing is crap, a good share of it is from shooting rifles with no ear protection and some from my job. If I shoot without hearing protection I loose my hearing for an hour or so then it slowly comes back, didn't work that way when I was your age!!! It sucks to have buddies hearing elk bugling and your just nodding, not cool at all!!!

I will second what bigngreen says about the hearing protection. Not any fun when your buddies can hear the elk bugle and you don't hear anything except maybe a ringing in your ears. not a smart move.

Oh i know its not smart at all, i stated that when i posted it. i just never use to use hearing protection! I am making the transition into hearing protection and it has helped a lot and thats why i said i tend to forget it. This past year i have been using it every chance i get.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.