300 Win Mag RWS Brass Weight Question

cj518

I have just received 200 new 300 win mag brass from HDS. After extensive research here and elsewhere I choose to give RWS a try for a new 300 win mag build because of the experience of others as to strength and durability, although less case capacity due to their weight. Upon weight checking the new cases, this is what I have determined, and has anyone noticed this or know when and the reason for the change.
RWS 218 gr +/- (not 270 gr)
I compared them to the brass that was available to me:
Norma 215 gr +/-
RP 235 gr +/-
Nosler 238 gr +/-
FC 248 gr +/-
WW 240 gr +/_

I have just received 200 new 300 win mag brass from HDS. After extensive research here and elsewhere I choose to give RWS a try for a new 300 win mag build because of the experience of others as to strength and durability, although less case capacity due to their weight. Upon weight checking the new cases, this is what I have determined, and has anyone noticed this or know when and the reason for the change.
RWS 218 gr +/- (not 270 gr)
I compared them to the brass that was available to me:
Norma 215 gr +/-
RP 235 gr +/-
Nosler 238 gr +/-
FC 248 gr +/-
WW 240 gr +/_

Sometimes brass weight alone, from brand to brand, doesn't determin capacity. It depends on how the brass is distributed. I would weigh water capacity.

elkaholic, this is what I have determined with H2O capacity of the RWS 300 win mag just delivered by Huntingtons.
RWS Virgin H2O volume: 92.8, 93.1, 92.6, 92.6, 92.6, 92.5
Norma resized with 0.002 bump: 93.7, 94.3, 93.9
H20 temp 70 deg f.
Once the RWS is fired, if my gunsmith uses the same reamer as my other 300's I will gain 0.015" after the 0.002" shoulder bump. This will put them even closer in volume to the Norma.

elkaholic, this is what I have determined with H2O capacity of the RWS 300 win mag just delivered by Huntingtons.
RWS Virgin H2O volume: 92.8, 93.1, 92.6, 92.6, 92.6, 92.5
Norma resized with 0.002 bump: 93.7, 94.3, 93.9
H20 temp 70 deg f.
Once the RWS is fired, if my gunsmith uses the same reamer as my other 300's I will gain 0.015" after the 0.002" shoulder bump. This will put them even closer in volume to the Norma.
Lapua, Norma, and RWS are all made by Ruag, soooooooooo.
they could be made each to their own spec, but, just saying:D

I don't have a problem with that at all and am fully aware of the source and how manufacturing and marketing go hand in hand. My concern is RWS has the reputation of being tough brass and if a degree of that durability comes from the added alloy with the assumption that the formulation (cost) will be the same, then they are marketing and charging a premium based on a prior reputation as a tough brass that will last longer that may no longer be so. I have bit my bullet on this and will go forward, it seems to be a quality product. I just feel if a change has been made, the shooting community should be informed so that informed decisions can be made.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.