300 Win Mag / RL26

lhedrick1

Looking for some starting load data for the above. I just got a box of 220gr ELD-X and haven't loaded with RL26 yet. Alliant only gives one charge at 74.2 +/- for this bullet weight.

Anyone have any experience with this combo?

A word of caution with RL26. It won't show pressure signs in the conventional way. I was trying it in a 257Wby. Couldn't find any data anywhere. At 72.6gr all was normal, at 72.8 a slight bruise, at 73 i had to use a hammer to open the bolt. I didn't see the bruise at 72.8 until after I fired the 73. No harm done, except for those two brass that were severely stretched. Thanks to the MarkV action. Found out later that Quick Load specs that cartridge/powder/bullet combo at under 71.0 max. Had phenomenal speed, 3636fps with the 72.6gr and 117grBTSP fr Hornady. Accuracy was terrible all the way up between 1.5-2" So make sure you have data from a reputable source, or go up very very slowly, and watch very very carefully

A word of caution with RL26. It won't show pressure signs in the conventional way. I was trying it in a 257Wby. Couldn't find any data anywhere. At 72.6gr all was normal, at 72.8 a slight bruise, at 73 i had to use a hammer to open the bolt. I didn't see the bruise at 72.8 until after I fired the 73. No harm done, except for those two brass that were severely stretched. Thanks to the MarkV action. Found out later that Quick Load specs that cartridge/powder/bullet combo at under 71.0 max. Had phenomenal speed, 3636fps with the 72.6gr and 117grBTSP fr Hornady. Accuracy was terrible all the way up between 1.5-2" So make sure you have data from a reputable source, or go up very very slowly, and watch very very carefully
I noticed the exact same experience in my Creedmoor. Going up .3 grns and velocity was increasing 10-20 fps to a point and the next .3 grns jumped 90 fps and primer pockets got loose.

Some of my best loading has been with RL-26 over H1000, Retumbo, and 8133. Speers new 190 grain impact, Fed 215GM primers and ADG brass, with RL-26 has been the tightest grouping out of my rifle.
If I ever find rl26 I'm trying it in my 300 win for sure. while you mention it, how's that 190 Speer treating you?

Imr enduron 4955 did this very same
Thing to me. None of the other enduron powders have been trouble

Alliant gives you the max load. Reduce by 10% for a starting load. I have had great luck with rl26 and the 225's and the 208's. Great groups and great speeds. Never had any pressure spikes.

Attachments

• 6CD6D88D-FF57-492B-B0AF-C010BBB9B33C.jpeg
    6CD6D88D-FF57-492B-B0AF-C010BBB9B33C.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 122
Imr enduron 4955 did this very same
Thing to me. None of the other enduron powders have been trouble
I have yet to exceed book loads, and funny some of the best accuracy has been around max recommended loading, not over max. I use ADG brass and most of the time I can get to the maximum recommended load recommendations but......with the ADG brass and the lower internal volume you end up losing with stretched primer pockets.

I did a work up starting at 72 grains of RL26 and 220 gr ELD X about 15 thou off the lands. Accuracy was horrible until I got to 74 grains. But I also blew two primers and had a heavy bolt lift on the last shot with that load.

Think Ill back it down to 73 gr and try giving her some more jump and see what happens. Was too crappy to haul the Magnetospeed out so I have no idea what sort of velocity I was getting.

I have used rl26 with the 300win and 200gr eldx. 75grs is where I settled on that load with peterson brass which is a little heavy. I just recently got 2 boxes of the 220gr eldx and am debating on trying rl26 or retumbo.

I finally shot a good group with the RL26/220gr ELD X. Was 73 gr of RL26 and CBTO of 3.850. Put 3 in about 3/4" and 1 flyer about 2" away @ 200 yards. Magnetospeed averaged 2865 fps. Zero pressure signs.

Need to try again and see if its consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.