.300 win mag: pursuing 4000 feet per second.

Lighter bullets help with this.

I have recently discovered the 6.5x284. It is very mild recoil, no brake needed and numbers seem to be pretty good. No meat with it yet, but intend to take it out this year. Haven't nailed down the bullet yet. Shoots well with all of them. Recently started working with the 109 Absolute Hammer and was not liking what I was seeing. Still need to shoot a couple more powders. Point is, there is no recoil with that little bullet and it is mooooovin.

Out of curiosity I pulled out a couple of 300WM rounds open one up, and indeed it has 88 gr of RL17 loaded in it. They other one I measured it 3.200 so it is .150 away from the lands it's a 110gr Sierra you gotta love that gapping hollow point.

Dean
IMG_0542.jpg

I don't practice this when when the barrel is new or freshly set back, but when it is getting up there in round count. And I have some ammo left over that I will not duplicate "Found a better load" and the conditions are right. I just love to shoot and watch the vapor trail I don't know what it is but it just fascinates me, it actually gives me more enjoyment than hitting a target at X yards, hey what can I say me and my dog are easy to entertain.

Dean

Out of curiosity I pulled out a couple of 300WM rounds open one up, and indeed it has 88 gr of RL17 loaded in it. They other one I measured it 3.200 so it is .150 away from the lands it's a 110gr Sierra you gotta love that gapping hollow point.

DeanView attachment 297744
Hehehe…vaporizer! I did play around with some 110 vmax in my old 300, years ago, a wby vanguard. But I wasn't using superformance or rl17 or anything "modern", I think just 4350. Hit about 3850 I think, with terrible accuracy (this 120 I'm currently using is crazy long for its weight, that helps), BUT….it was the most gratifying thing to vaporize expired or frostbitten produce with. The watermelon wasn't confused…it was mist-ified!!!

I don't practice this when when the barrel is new or freshly set back, but when it is getting up there in round count. And I have some ammo left over that I will not duplicate "Found a better load" and the conditions are right. I just love to shoot and watch the vapor trail I don't know what it is but it just fascinates me, it actually gives me more enjoyment than hitting a target at X yards, hey what can I say me and my dog are easy to entertain.

Dean

Recently received some Hammers and I read they were leaving the cutting oil in the nose.
The guy at the range told me he could see the vapor trail with his naked eye, indoors at 100 yards. Pretty cool.

The faster you shoot bullets and more powder you shoot the quicker you burn out your barrel .I never knew why people didn't like a 243 in a AR 15 it's because the barrel only last about 1000 rounds when you shoot 55 grain bullets at 4000 fps you barrel will only last about 600 rounds or even less .The 30-378 with light bullets is known to burn out a barrel in 250 rounds with 150 grain bullets .My 338-378 would do the same thing with 160 grain bullets at 4000 fps .I would stick with 180 grain an up in that 300 win mag for big game hunting .They have way better energy at long range than the lighter bullets and your barrel will last way longer .I bet a 300 win mag with 4000 fps loads would not last more than 600 rounds if that .My 300 win mag which I only shoot 180 to 200 grain bullets in has shot at least 1200 rounds through it and is still shooting half inch groups .If you like buying barrels that 4000 fps load is for you .I didn't like the bullet blow up in the 300 win mag with even 150 grain bullets or even 165 grain .It blew half the deer away too with those lighter bullets .

The faster you shoot bullets and more powder you shoot the quicker you burn out your barrel .I never knew why people didn't like a 243 in a AR 15 it's because the barrel only last about 1000 rounds when you shoot 55 grain bullets at 4000 fps you barrel will only last about 600 rounds or even less .The 30-378 with light bullets is known to burn out a barrel in 250 rounds with 150 grain bullets .My 338-378 would do the same thing with 160 grain bullets at 4000 fps .I would stick with 180 grain an up in that 300 win mag for big game hunting .They have way better energy at long range than the lighter bullets and your barrel will last way longer .I bet a 300 win mag with 4000 fps loads would not last more than 600 rounds if that .My 300 win mag which I only shoot 180 to 200 grain bullets in has shot at least 1200 rounds through it and is still shooting half inch groups .If you like buying barrels that 4000 fps load is for you .I didn't like the bullet blow up in the 300 win mag with even 150 grain bullets or even 165 grain .It blew half the deer away too with those lighter bullets .
This has been mentioned several times and the unanimous response is.......................... We don't care about barrel life at all and the Mono's don't blow up, Your beating a dead horse

Last edited:
This has been mentioned several times and the unanimous response is.......................... We don't care about barrel life at all and the Mono's don't blow up, Your beating a dead horse
It also depends very much on how you define barrel life. For benchrest accuracy sure…maybe…but I often wonder when people say their barrel is toast if they mean it can't shoot inside an inch and a half at 100 or if they mean it can't shoot inside a half inch. World of difference. Also wonder if people read too much into throat erosion/visible signs of wear seen through a bore scope. Declaring a barrel is visibly done for inside, never mind the fact that for most field applications it's still more than adequate.

Probably the same mentality that talks about "bullet failure" as determined by some arbitrary weight retention requirement a bullet "failed" to meet - never mind that the person knows how much weight it retained because they successfully recovered it from a dead animal!!!!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Failure indeed….

Does anyone remember when, I think it was Hornaday came out with 55 grain bullets in a plastic sabot for the 30 06 some time in the 80's
I was 14 or 15yrs old and thought wow nearly 4k fps. This will be a great Coyote round.
Well you need to be 50yds or less from a 50 gallon drum to Hit It LOL

Does anyone remember when, I think it was Hornaday came out with 55 grain bullets in a plastic sabot for the 30 06 some time in the 80's
I was 14 or 15yrs old and thought wow nearly 4k fps. This will be a great Coyote round.
Well you need to be 50yds or less from a 50 gallon drum to Hit It LOL
Those are Remington Accelerator rounds, I have a box of 19 (1 had been fired) I received with a 30-06 I got about 15 years back. I also have a box of bullets that can be loaded in a .30 cal cartridge. I never will load them, but neat anyway.