300 win mag powder

I would start with the IMR 4831. Seat them deep and give them a good jump. I ran my 175 LRX at 3.335" COAL in a stock Ruger M77 so they would feed from the mag.

Reloader 22 got them moving for me. The 4831 may not move them as fast. I think the 4350 would be my last resort. Save if for the 152 class Hammers when you get frustrated with the Barnes.

I was going off what he stated he had. Optimally there are better/faster powders out there.

I gained about 150 FPS going from H1000 to Rl22. Lose temp stability, but not a long range load with that bullet. So speed it your friend.

Last edited:
The 4831 for sure, but possibly a loss of temp stability depending on your area. I'm using RL26 in mine with 168gr bullets. Great velocities and accuracy. Didn't try H4831SC which I have, would be interested to see results. Good luck.

What is best powder to use on 300 win mag 180 grain tsx barnes. I have some imr 4350 and imr 4831 and some acuratte 4350 Also i heard barnes are tricky to load is this true
You know the drill. load up 4 of each powder doing ladder test starting 2 gr. under max and move up .7 gr at a time and set up the chronograph and test for accuracy. Only your rifle knows and not someone's else's rifle. Of course I will add my 2 cents. I Like the IMR 4831 and use a lot but definitely has temp stability issues if you load develop in 90 degree and hunt in the fall at 40 degrees there definitely is a big velocity fall off. Never had any luck with imr 4350 in a 300 mag shooting 175 and 200 grain bullets but did with H 4350. Accurate 4350 would be a interesting try. AS far as what you don't have - H1000 always gives me 100 fps faster then book max and will be my powder of choice when it becomes available again. Never used the RL powders but they have plenty of good testimonials in there favor for velocity.