300 Win Mag Powder Charge with Berger 215gr Match Hybid Target

gozags!

All

I am fairly new to reloading and would like some clarification on powder charges. I am loading for a 300 Win Mag using 215gr Berger Match Hybrid Target bullets. I intend to start with H-1000 powder and Federal 215 Match Primers. I have Lapua brass. I contacted Berger about load data in the 300 Win Mag and the 215gr bullet (see attached chart). The data shows a staring load of 70.5 grains of H-1000 and a max load of 74.0 grains of H-1000.

In searching and reading several posts on this site, many of you are using more grains of H-1000 than the listed max load of 74.0 grains in the 300 Win Mag using the 215gr Berger. I understand seating the bullet further out of the case allows more case capacity for powder. But, I have read that you still should not exceed the manufacture's load data for maximum charge.

Obviously, safety is my biggest concern. But, I would like to maximize performance. Is it ok to gradually increase the load until pressure signs form if you are above the maximum load stated in the manufacture's load data? For those of you that are using 75,76,77 and 78 grains of H-1000 with this combination are you having any issues?

Your comments are most appreciated.

Attachments

• CCE05012014_0002.pdf
    273.2 KB · Views: 659
Welcome I tried both H1000 and H4831SC. I ended up at 76gn H1000 with a 210M. I tried the 215M as well. The 210 worked better for me. I got the same info from Berger. 76 gn ,no pressure signs and great accuracy with pretty much a factory rifle. I would start low and work up.

Good Luck

Jay

Every rifle is different. In some, pressure will show up sooner than in others. What I do when starting load development for a brand new load is to go to the book and find the mid range powder charge. I start at that charge and load one round and increase 1 grain at a time loading just one cartridge with each 1 grain increase. Typically I'll load 5 or 6 total cartridges and take them up a couple grains over max book load. I start at the lightest charge and look for where pressure signs show up as I shoot increased charges. I STOP when I find pressure that I consider too much. This way, I can establish a max safe load in my rifle and not worry about what the book says is max load. With your Lapua brass you may not see signs on the case head but will be looking more for the appearance of your primer and also watching for a bolt that gets sticky, this is obviously too much and is OVER max. The rifle may not necessarily shoot good toward the top but at least you'll know where that threshold is.

Tumbleweed's post is well said.

How comfortable are you with recognizing pressure signs? You might spend some time searching for pictures of cratered primers, bolt marks on the head of the case, etc. And of course a sticky bolt is a sure sign of very high pressure. Just make sure you are very comfortable recognizing the first signs of high pressure so you do not damage your rifle or hurt yourself.

Like tumbleweed said, all rifles are different. And you are on the right track in wanting to maximize your performance. The reloading manuals are very good guides, but when you become more experienced you will only use them when you want a reference for a starting point when changing to a new bullet or powder.

Welcome I tried both H1000 and H4831SC. I ended up at 76gn H1000 with a 210M. I tried the 215M as well. The 210 worked better for me. I got the same info from Berger. 76 gn ,no pressure signs and great accuracy with pretty much a factory rifle. I would start low and work up.

Good Luck

Jay

I ended up in the same place except I use the Federal 215 primers. 1/2 moa out to at least 600 yds. Longer distances to be tried later. This with a Winchester action and #3 Lilja barrel. Start low and work up. I started at 70 grains.

Thanks for your replies. I will start low and work my way up.

I found the Lapua brass on Gunbroker.

Been using 77gr of H-1000 and CCI 250 primers in winchester brass under a 215 berger out of a 26" barrel. Getting around 2885 fps. It's kind of righter there on the edge of getting sticky. Probably back it down to 76-76.5 just to make sure I don't end up with an issue on a real hot day. ES was 15 which isn't back. I think you'll find a lot of people end up in the 76gr range for these weights in 300wm.

Running the 215 in my win mag with 76.5 grs H-1000, from my 28" Hart, I am getting 2895 fps, ES 12. Shoots like a bat out of hell.

I'm getting ready to load some. Seems like 76 grains seems to work well for a lot of guys

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.