300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag

You picked two great rounds with a lot of history. You wouldn't go wrong either way. My favorite cartridge is the 338 WM, and my favorite personal rifle is built in 300 WM, so I have a fair bit of time with both.

Bullet choices today are so good that you can find something for the 300 that won't blow up on heavy bone at close range as well as something for the 338 that has excellent ballistics, even in the lighter bullets. Compared to a few decades ago, the operating envelopes for both cartridges are much larger with properly selected bullets. I'd say pick the one your gut tells you that you want to have. It won't be a bad decision.

For me, why do I like the 338 WM? I like balance, case size compared against bullet diameter. It's also why I like the 30/06, and the 375 H&H if thinking the other direction. To me, the 338 WM is an oversized 30/06. Anything less, case capacity to bullet ratio-wise, tends to lob the bullet out a bit losing a bit of downrange effectiveness; anything more tends to create a lot more recoil and muzzle blast for a lower percentage velocity improvement, sometimes necessary and worth it, but not in average circumstances.

I'm thinking 30-338 the case is only 2.50 in long you can make brass from 7 mag or 338 win mag or 300 wm it's more efficient too with less recoil. IMHO , it's a great cartridge for long range, but it's long forgotten, I guess I'm showing my age

Seeing how the op ask for which one between a 300wm and a 338wm and not what everyone's supporter choice is...300 wm.
So what if he doesn't need one to hunt where he is. When has that stopped anyone from getting something they want? I bet most of us have numerous gun we have no use for....but still need
Amen!!!

I just obtained a .358 Norma magnum and have no need for it haha…always had a wierd soft spot in my heart for that cartridge

I am looking at getting another Bang Stick for open country long range carry gun
Im looking at Either a 300 Win Mag or a 338 Win Mag
I have read articles on both calibers can I have people's real life pros and cons they have found
Living in New Zealand alot of the country hunted if not almost straight up is straight down
Main goto gun is 260 rem and I have a heavy barrel 6.5x68 that I use as my truck gun I also reload
Any advice would be welcome
I have more than one of both so I do like both. I think the .338 family is the perfect caliber for elk. In my experience between me and hunting buddies, I've been a part of many harvested elk with both calibers. In my experience, I have also found .338 Win Mags to be inherently accurate. I have had really good luck in that regard or the caliber is inherently accurate. I have also had accurate 300 Win Mags but have had a few that wouldn't shoot the combinations I tried which is usually everything available before I'm willing to sell it. Whatever one you pick, I would suggest a heavier bullet for the caliber since this will be a longer range weapon. The initial velocity loss due to a heavy bullet is well worth the gain on the back end as longer heavier bullets carry out better further down range ( minimum 190-200 grain in the 300 or 225-250 in the 338). Shot placement is everything obviously. I mean you could kill an elk at 600 yards with a 243 or a 6.5 Creedmoor if you hit the boiler room. The reason we have these discussions is because in the woods without a bench and a good rest the insurance calibers like the 300 and 338 provide is what makes them suitable for elk. Not to mention they have big heavy bones and tough hides. At long range, all that really comes into play. Doesn't mean you should just point and shoot if you have a bigger caliber but carrying the minimal caliber that will kill an animal if everything lines up perfectly (temp, wind, visibility, snow, animal movement, etc…) is less than ideal. With all that being said, you are choosing between two capable elk calibers so you really can't go wrong. Best case, you get both. Good luck.

some questions we ALL should maybe be trying to answer :

1 - what bullet do you WANT to use, and how well do you expect it to perform ?
2 - at what MAXIMUM, ( MUST be absolutely forthright here), Range will you take a shot ?
3 - is the bullet you have chosen GOING to do the job at THAT range with a bit to spare ?
and the real biggie :
4 - how much recoil can you shoot WELL ? ( must answer yourself honestly). and can you use a brake and ear protection ?

when you know the answers to those questions, you will know what to go get for a rifle to shoot THAT bullet ....

and the bottom line? HAVE FUN !

I have both, I like both. I would choose the 300WM over the 338 though. Ammunition is a bit cheaper, I reload both now, and my 338 is a bit finicky.
I also have both, love both and do reload as well. I would go with the 300 WM. The 338 WM kicks like a mule. Okay shooting at game, but bench shooting is miserable. It shoots well, I am the finicky one! Both are Winchester 70s.

If you go with a 300 PRC you won't have to mess with a belted cartridge, plus you could download a tad bit if you felt it necessary. I have a 300WM now with a 24" barrel, if I replace that barrel I may give the 300 PRC some thought, but at this time I have not looked up what the brass cost or its availability or the ballistics for the 300 PRC.

1654042573664.png

If you go with a 300 PRC you won't have to mess with a belted cartridge, plus you could download a tad bit if you felt it necessary. I have a 300WM now with a 24" barrel, if I replace that barrel I may give the 300 PRC some thought, but at this time I have not looked up what the brass cost or its availability or the ballistics for the 300 PRC.

View attachment 369345
What's nice about being a reloader you can build any cartridge one would like, even a wildcat. Good idea to think out of the box. Nothing is more enjoyable than purchasing a new rifle. Enjoy the process.

I am looking at getting another Bang Stick for open country long range carry gun
I have read articles on both calibers can I have people's real life pros and cons they have found
Living in New Zealand alot of the country hunted if not almost straight up is straight down
Main goto gun is 260 rem and I have a heavy barrel 6.5x68 that I use as my truck gun I also reload
300 win from your two choices....But looking for a boom stick....300 Weatherby, 300 Rum or 338 lapua.....Winchester falls short in both categories! Just me!

WAO...this is still going after 5 pages...well in that case here is my opinion.
I have One338 WM, One 338LM, Two 300WM and Four 300WBY. It is obvious what my favorite cartridge is. But you are asking between 300WM and 338WM in NZ and long range. IMHO the answer has to be 300WM

I would say 300 Norma mag would be a great round for long range. But if your game is medium side I would look at bullets in the .284 class if your wanting Niger than the 6.5x68 or your.260. It's all about which round can you control the best for shot placement. I have a buddy who shoots deer with 300 weatherby and one that use a .224 Valkyrie and the guy that uses the 300 weatherby loose more deer than the other guy just because the other guy can retain the recoil much better and can do better shot placement.

Yes, hide the rest of your guns from Ardern before she takes them too. Trudope just effectively banned handguns for any new shooters. Oh and go with .300 Weatherby. Beats Win Mag.

Last edited:
I saw a 300NM listed above! I'll go off the reservation and say 300LM if you want to spend a little more powder? It has the same case and oal as the 338LM. The 300NM is like the prc cases in a way. 2.490 case length you can seat out long and have extra room 8n the mag. The Lapua has room for more power, but less pressure. The nod would go to the Norma. Everyone keeps suggesting everything and beyond except the 2 you ask about! My answer will still be 300wm.

I'd recommend a lightweight 30/06, personally. It's plenty powerful, ammo is universally available, it's long action so it's easy to load, unload, clear jams in the dark and with cold hands. Practice with cheap ammo, load light "plinkers" and get used to the trigger, get good with the gun. Good enough to shoot it in your sleep, in the dark, at moving targets... My first big game rifle was a 30/06, I've bought a hundred guns since then- 7mm mag, 300 win mag, .308, 25/06, 375 H&H- and I'm back to my original gun. The two longest shots I ever made were made with a 30/06. If you must choose between the .300 and the .338, I'd pick the former and make lots of light loads to practice with. When I took my concealed carry class I saw a chart showing that the .357 magnum was MORE LETHAL than the .44 magnum. Why do you think that is? Maybe it's because if you can't hit it, you probably can't kill it.