.300 Win Mag OR .338 Win Mag..???

Sully2

I figure Ive got about 1 more rifle left in me to have built Physical ailments prevent me from elk hunting or African safari stuff so I dont need an elephant gun nor something to shoot the seeds out of a grape at a mile.

What I have so far is...22-250 factory Hvy bbl
22-250 much lighter setup for carrying
243 factory hvy bbl
260 Rem ( set up like a factory Hvy bbl varmiter but it isnt one)
280 Rem ( for a little bit bigger "game"
and a 6mmBR fully custom with Shehane stock and its a tack driver too)

BUT...Im lacking on the top end. So...300 Win mag or 338 Win mag??????

I vote 300wm. Wider selection of bullets, don't have to modify cases, plenty of load info, and its good for a long ways.

I figure Ive got about 1 more rifle left in me to have built Physical ailments prevent me from elk hunting or African safari stuff so I dont need an elephant gun nor something to shoot the seeds out of a grape at a mile.

243 factory hvy bbl

Had you though about a 7 STW ? very powerful and reasonable recoil or one of the Short mags
in 7mm or .30 cal.

I like the big 338s but that is a big step.

J E CUSTOM

243 factory hvy bbl

I have both chamberings and they are very good choices --- either one should serve you well on your intended purpose.

If you're building the .300 Win Mag so it can propel the .230 Berger VLD (along with 210s/215s) and takes advantage of it's BC then you're golden.

The .338 Win Mag IMHO lacks the case capacity to propel high BC bullets heavier than .225s. However, if you're building it, you might want to consider the >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/338-300-win-mag-138090/index7.html

Good luck!

Ed

I love the .338's but the capacity of the Winchester leaves a bit of potential on the table.

If just 2 choices the .300 Winchester is the way go, If we're talking LRH.

I have to say when my .300 Winchester barrel is done, some of the personal deficits you spoke of 7mm-300 Winchester will likely get the nod for just shooting, leaving my .338 RUM for hunting.

Well... I guess if you aren't going to be hunting elephants, grizzly, or taking out armored personnel carriers... The 300 wm would give you more time behind the gun if money is an issue. The ammo cost per shot is less and the performance, like Feenix mentioned, with high bc bullets is respectable.

Here's the problem for me though... Just when I think I have every gun I need/want... something happens and I see something else that would be really nice to have. If your anything like me... Don't be surprised that you end up with both if you go with the 300 wm. That little voice might just start whispering, "Hmmm... 338 or cheytac"!

Good luck in choosing and here's to hoping you really enjoy whatever you go with.

I say the 300wm. If you get in a bind you can get factory ammo in just about every little shop or store. They even have it in South Africa.
Then there is the ballistics which I believe others have stated the 300 wins.

The 338 is a good mid range thumper, but it hits its stride with 225 grain slugs, which aren't as great for lr hunting. I pasted a mule deer with my 338win at 550 yards years back with a 225 hdy (you shoot what you have, and that's what was in my pocket that day) and it went down without even a flinch.

I'm with JE that you look at the larger 7'mms also. Both the 7stw and 7rum will shoot flat, hit hard, and not beat you up even without a brake.
A 300win is good, but the rum is better in 30 cal.. I have both and I likely wouldn't have the win if the rum had been out already when I bought my 300win. The recoil is up somewhat, but not really at 338 level.

Had you though about a 7 STW ? very powerful and reasonable recoil or one of the Short mags
in 7mm or .30 cal.

I like the big 338s but that is a big step.

J E CUSTOM

I think it's safe to say we all know I agree with this statement. :D

Sully, you should look into the STW. It's quite a compelling round when you take real world expereince into consideration versus books and other basic knowledge. If you are interested in it, the 7mm STW section here on the forum is the most extensive knowledgebase for 7mm STW info I have ever seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts