300 Win Mag or 300 Ultra

I thought you could download the rum to 300wm levels and improve barrel life? I just bought a 300rum. Hope I didn't mess up! I have a 300 wm already. I figured I'd shoot the 180's out of the wm and then the heavier 210's out of the rum. Although I don't see the need to go over 3150 with either. I'll let the Lapua do the big work.

The .300RUM is a great round for what it is. More energy and velocity than the .300WM at a decent cost. It is nowhere near as expensive to shoot as the other ultra fast .30 cal varieties due to cost of brass. It will hit harder when you stretch the yardage out. Only you can determine if you need the extra performance or not. Depends on how heavy is the bullet you want to shoot and the distance you plan on taking it out to. I really don't mind less barrel life. If you own a Ferrari don't complain about the cost of brakes and tires!
By the way I have one of each (.300RUM and .300Win Mag) and hunt with both.

How long of a barrel do you need on the RUM to take advantage of the additional case capacity? I know the Win Mag has a very slight advantage with a 26" barrel over the 24" tube on mine when the exact same loads are fired over a chronograph.

How long of a barrel do you need on the RUM to take advantage of the additional case capacity? I know the Win Mag has a very slight advantage with a 26" barrel over the 24" tube on mine when the exact same loads are fired over a chronograph.

I personally would say that 26" is a bare minimum. To get your powder burned 28" and 30" is a lot better. Keep in mind, you need to increase your barrel diameter with length as longer thinner barrels will have more "whip" and can be trickier to tune.

That is what I imagined, even being able to take longer shots, I still have to pack it in to get to where I can take the shot. Just making a list of pluses and minuses to make an educated decision. Looking at my ballistics program, with the new Accubond, I should be able to carry a ton of energy past 700 yards with my 300 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts