300 win mag or 300 RUM

cb4128

I am trying to get into hunting 1,000 + yards and have shot animals at 800 yards but am wanting to get a 300 caliber rifle to shoot 1,000+. Really like the senderos but wanted to see what people though of the original sendero in 300 win mag or the newer sendero sfII in 300 RUM. I've read a bunch about how accurate the older senderos were out of the box but haven't seen much on the Ultra Magnum. I would put a brake on both.

my friends and i have both; some of the sf1 and some have the sfII . some have the rum , some the 300 wm . all shoot real good. i do not care for the rum it is too much of a good thing.

I just picked up my Sendero SF II today in 300 WM. I chose the 300 WM for the selection of ammo available as well as it's ability to shoot 1000+ without worry. I was able to get mine brand new for $1180 shipped so I snagged it as fast as I could pull out the credit card. Absolutely worth it.

Too much of a good thing. Never. The only advantage the win mag has is ammo availability. If you do not reload the win mag is your choice. If you do the 230 Bergers are hard to beat and the Rum is your choice. That is if you have the patience to chase components.

I have both and for what I do I'd take the 300 WM. I don't think there is really any advantage to the RUM out to 1000 yds. Buy as stated if you really need to stretch it out, then a 30" barrel RUM with 230 Bergers would be the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.