300 Win Mag or 300 Dakota- which one to get?

CanadianLefty

Finally, let's put this to rest.

From what I have read, the 300 Dakota may achieve a 2-8% increase in water case capacity over the 300 Win Mag. -

1. 300 win. mag. (90.4 +- grains) vs. 300 Dakota at 97.0 +- grains

Is this worth doing?

I am looking for efficiency and beltless case (if possible). Ideally, if this translates to 100fps more velocity on average, I think it might be worth it??????

I\'ll give you my 2 cents....

A long range guru I am not, but I have learned some things over the years by playing with different wildcats and Ackley Improved cartridges. Personally, I'd go with the standard .300 Win Mag and here's why: to achieve noticable gains in velocity over the standard .300 mag, you need to burn a pretty significant amount of powder-hereby increasing recoil. There is plenty of great brass available for the .300 Win mag vs. slim to zero for the .300 Dakota. Tons of load data, tons of trophies, and tons of dead animals with the .300 Win Mag. Now, don't get me wrong-I think the Dakota makes a lot of sense in it's design (case shape, no belt, longer neck, ect.) I think a lot of the time we try to reinvent the wheel. I have dinked around with lots of different stuff simply because it was just that-DIFFERENT! and if that is your reason, I say go for it! If you want a good reliable 1000 yard target gun or kill'n machine, look no further then the .300 Win Mag. If you still have a hang up velocity (I was there for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'd suggest jumping to the .300 RUM-which is also very accurate and loads of data. Personally, the Win Mag will all I need it to do with less recoil (by far) then the RUM. Again, just my 2 cents.

Easier question. Where can you get Dakota brass in Canada? how much will it cost? How long will it take to get it?

Win mag solves all those issues. If you want beltless, the WSM or RUM.

Jerry

If those are the two choices---------- The Dakota wins hands down. I think that you have your figures wrong. I really don't think that 300 WG holds 90 grains of powder. Years ago Before the Ultra mags the 300 dakotas would show up at bench rest matches.

The 300 Dakota is based upon a shortened 404 Jeffery case. In any given length cartridge, use of the non belted 404 Jeffery case provides about a 15 percent increase in usable case capacity, compared to the standard belted case. The cartridge provides a significant capacity advantage over the 300 Winchester Magnum and comes close to duplicating capacity and performance of the much longer 300 Weatherby Magnum.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.