300 win mag opinion wanted?

Travis1971

Hello, I'm looking for opinions here so please bear with me. I currantly have a 7mm mag and a couple 308 rifles and I was looking to add in a 300 win mag. the purpose of the 300 would be for long range paper punching and a back up gun for elk hunting. With that being said does anyone feel I would not gain enough over my 7mm mag and should look at a diffrent caliber. I do reload but I'm not looking for some wildcat I could never get brass for or it so exspensive I wouldnt shoot it, example I was looking at the 338 lapua but the price on ammo and the issues I hear about reloading it made me shy away. Also I'm looking to do a semi-custom build for this rifle.

I was looking into the 300wm myself but after much research I setteled on the 300rum. Shooting a 208 A-Max in the 2's. Couldn't be happier. Very easy to load for. 92g of Retumbo gets me 3050fps of extreme accuracy. Still have some load tweaking to do and should be able to shoot a hole by the time it's done with. 300wm is a fine round but overall not in the same park as the 300rum....oh yeah...IMHO.gun):)

Travis,
Welcome to LRH. The 7Mag is a heck of a cartridge and with the introduction of newer, heavier .284 bullets, I think it's capabilities are now being realized by a lot of folks.
Years ago, I owned Sendero's in both the 7mag and .300WinMag at the same time. At the time it seemed to me that what one would do the other would do just as good.
There still isn't a huge difference between the two but I feel the .300WinMag has more to offer than the 7Mag. I like both and have considered buying a 7Mag barrel for my Savage 112BVSS in .300WinMag.
If you want to justify a big difference then go with a .338 RUM. Lot's of thump there and it won't break the bank or be a pain to reload, like other .33's. JohnnyK.

My opinion: 7mm=good, 300win=better but not by leaps and bounds.......... assuming your using heavy for caliber bullets. 300rum vs 338rum= almost equal but only one real good 230grain(.308) vs any one of many fine 300grain(.338).......since your going bigger and longer.....338. The 338 lapua is way overpriced in my opinion. Not saying it is bad but cost more than it should.

Well I never really looked at the 300 or 338 rum's is remington the only one building guns this caliber? What other actions could I stater with?? My plan was to buy a whole gun and strip it down or see if I could find just an action and have it barreled. This is why I posted in the basic I have never had a rifle built. Any idea on cost to build a 338 rum that will a "decent" shooter? I dont need a tac driver at 1000 yards although that would be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.