300 win mag muzzle break

Another alternative, if you want to stay away from a break, would be a comp stock. Love mine on 300 WM, reduces recoil dramatically. Less recoil than .308.

Please explain, What is "comp stock" and how does it work?

Comp Stock like the Knoxx Comp Stock is an overmolded stock with a spring like device that functions similar to a shock absorber. Early concerns with these possibly compromising accuracy have been voiced by a few however those who have tried these disagree. My 300 WM remains a sub 1 MOA gun @ 600 yrds and I can shoot it all day long. Prior to changing to the new comp stock I would tend to shy away after 3-4 rounds....not that I would ever Fl**ch. :cool: One word of caution is making certain you have enough eye relief, with the stock compression absorbing recoil, 1-2 inches of eye relief could be problematic. I would recommend 3-4 inches.

After looking over "recoil" stocks I think I have made the decision to put a break on the 300 Wm.

What should I look for and is any one more popular/better than the other?

I have looked at some previous mentioned in this post but really have no experience with them or know what makes one better than the others.

Any more advise/suggestions

Thanks

The baffle brakes work best for recoil. The more surface area (diameter) for the gas to hit on the better. No ports on the bottom as they would kick up dust. The main ports should angle out or better yet back toward the shooter. Do not let anyone talk you in to turning the BAFFLED section down to match the barrel or you will loose impact area and reduce effectiveness. The brake I mentioned earlier reduces sound signature down range and behind the shooter but as with all brakes directly beside the muzzle in close proximity is louder than it otherwise would be. 50yrds away in any direction you would never guess I was shooting a howitzer.

Your answer is here:

Straight Shot Gunsmithing

338 RUM, 300 gr SMK's at 2950, anybody can shoot the rifle with the brake on it.

Of note, 180's will have more recoil than a heavier bullet. My 300 Win Mag shoots 180 gr Nosler BT's very well, but shoots 208 AMax's a little better. Heavier bullet, slower burning powder, not as sharp of recoil. More of a heavy push than a whack.

The baffle brakes work best for recoil. The more surface area (diameter) for the gas to hit on the better. No ports on the bottom as they would kick up dust. The main ports should angle out or better yet back toward the shooter. Do not let anyone talk you in to turning the BAFFLED section down to match the barrel or you will loose impact area and reduce effectiveness. The brake I mentioned earlier reduces sound signature down range and behind the shooter but as with all brakes directly beside the muzzle in close proximity is louder than it otherwise would be. 50yrds away in any direction you would never guess I was shooting a howitzer.

Thanks, was that the Ross shuler brake you mentioned? Who if you do not mind saying installed it for you. You could PM me if you wish.

Your answer is here:

Straight Shot Gunsmithing

338 RUM, 300 gr SMK's at 2950, anybody can shoot the rifle with the brake on it.

Of note, 180's will have more recoil than a heavier bullet. My 300 Win Mag shoots 180 gr Nosler BT's very well, but shoots 208 AMax's a little better. Heavier bullet, slower burning powder, not as sharp of recoil. More of a heavy push than a whack.

Thank you, interesting read.
I plan to try 200gr'ers in the 300 also. Many people seem to have good luck with the 200's

Have you considered going to a different style/shape of stock? I just sold a Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag with a B&C stock that kicked the crap out of me, but my cheapie Savage (300 Win Mag) with a better fitting stock is actually quite nice to shoot. The Savage is also a pound lighter.
I'm only 5'8" 155 lbs and have a surgically repaired shoulder (busted up my rotator cuff in a car accident), and have found that a good fitting stock with a quality recoil pad lets me shoot a lot more than I used to.

"Thanks, was that the Ross shuler brake you mentioned? Who if you do not mind saying installed it for you. You could PM me if you wish."

Yes, that was Ross's brake and Ross installed it for me. He has done several for me and I have bean ecstatic with the results of each one of them, Highly recommend his brakes and his work every chance I get.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.