.300 win mag. long gun help

missourideere

Hi I'm new to the site and had a couple questions I'm getting a .300 win mag built into a 1000yd gun. I want to shoot the hornady 225grain it seems that retumbo and h1000 are the two most popular loads. Does anybody have any suggestions on powder bullets or cases? Also thoughts on brass I'm pretty proficient at reloading that being said do I really need to spend the extra money on norma brass our will other brass do?

Welcome to the forum & congratulations on the .300 build. If you look into the search engine you will find a lot of useful information here . And I,m sure there will be some .300 wm guru's online shortly that will have ton's of info & suggestion's for you. I myself run the 215gr Berger Hybrids with H-1000 powder , hornady case's with GM215M primer's. If you check out a fella on here by the name Broz & some of his proven result's I think it will help you out. It sure did me....:D
Enjoy your new .300 & be safe..........

I use the exact same components as remington01; other than I use Nosler brass. As remington01 stated, I think with some research you will come back to the 215's and H1000. 3000fps out of a 26" Brux. With great accuracy.

It looked to me like retumbo and h1000 were fairly even as far as velocity is this not true? I'm just trying to buy up supplies as I find it as its almost impossible to get. Another question how come the 215 and not the 225 or 230. I'm just building this gun to plink and possibly hunt but as always I want it to be supper accurate with a little knock down at some distance.

The 215's are very accurate and have been devastating on game. Run some numbers through a ballistic calculator with the bullets you mentioned. Some guys do run the 230's in 300 WM. For me the 215 is more than enough. I have never tried Retumbo. H1000 gave such good results, I was done load development in 12 rounds. Start them 30-40 thou off the lands and they should shoot good.

Also what about brass is it worth spending the extra on norma we shoot just about any brass in our .338 and .223 sort them and get killer groups at 200yds but Jane an infinte amount so not worried about wear what brass well give me the most longevity is it worth spending the extra on norma?

Deere, it's like H1000 and the 215 Berger were made for the 300 Win. There are hundreds of posts here for that combo. Check them out. Good luck

I have a buddy who shoots for savage. They sent him a BAS 300wm. His rifle shoots the 230 bergers with 73.2gr or retumbo for 2985fps WELL. He runs rederal brass just because we can get it local and cheap

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.