300 Win mag load advice

I just got finished checking the max OAL on my Ruger M77. With a 180gr Partiton, they hit the lands at 3.531".

So should I start loading loading them at 3.51" to load single shot style ? Would that be best for accuracy ? Sorry for the noob questions, but Im fairly new to reloading.

Tang,

I thought you were going to load 180 Hornady Interlocks? If so you'll have to measure the OAL with each different make of bullet, because they'll all be different.

But yes, .020 to 0.030 is a commonly recommended distance to seat the bullets back from the lands. You can also try some short enough to fit in your magazine also, and they may shoot well there also.

I am going to be using the Interlocks, but the Partitions were on hand when I decided to measure. More or less was just using it for example, and a learning tool for myself. The gun likes the 180 Interlocks, but I also want to work up a Barnes load. The video on their site is impressive, and they seem to have good feedback as well.

Tang,

I thought you were going to load 180 Hornady Interlocks? If so you'll have to measure the OAL with each different make of bullet, because they'll all be different.

But yes, .020 to 0.030 is a commonly recommended distance to seat the bullets back from the lands. You can also try some short enough to fit in your magazine also, and they may shoot well there also.

i built up a really good load with H-1000. its 81.2 Gr of powder, in a Remington case, a CCI 250 primer, topped with a Nosler 180 BT, seated 15 thousands off the lands. shoots half inch or better every time. be aware this load is over max so as always start light and work. hope this helps some one out thanks for all the help.

Here Lately I have had really good luck with Ramshot Magnum and 200gr accubonds in my 300 win mag, around 81.7 grs in Nosler brass with fed 215 primers gives me 2880 and less than 1/2 inch @ 100yds..in a 24 inch tube might get it over 2900 if you are running a 26 inch..

raven, I have not tried it with other bullets enough to say anything about it but the 200 AB load really worked well ! I think it is a great powder and is fairly temp stable !

I'm using 73.6 gr. of RL 22 with Berger 210's and am shooting 5/8 moa average over the course of 250 rounds out of my mod. 70 classic. It's going an average of 2920 and the coal is 3.485" . I shot a nice bull, high shoulder one shot kill at 787 yards with this combination and several deer at 500 yards+-. If you run the balistics the 210's do better after about 650 yards than do the 180 and 190 bullets in this calibur.

When the .300 Win. Mag. was popular in long range high power matches, IMR4350 gave the best accuracy with 190 through 220 grain Sierra HPMK's. While some other powders will shoot 'em out faster, I don't think the track record IMR4350 has can be beat for shooting 'em into the smallest cluster.

What's more important; smallest groups or largest muzzle velocity numbers?

I switched to BR2 Primer from fed mag and saw an increase in MV and decrease in SD I load 208GR Amax kissing the lands. Doing a ladder test this sat. 79 GR of h1000 showed great accuracy and at 81 gr I just started to flatten primers but didn't lose any accuracy.

After Saturday when I finish the ladder test I'll know which powder charger and bullet seating is optimal.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.