.300 Win Mag hunting scope

CoachChris

I'm building a .300 Win Mag on a Savage 111 action with a heavy sporter barrel.
I have 2 scopes to choose from, SWFA SS 3-15x42 ffp and a SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD

Opinions?
Would you say the 3-15 is enough?
Or
Should I suck it up and hump the 5-20?

P.S. This is going to be a dedicated hunting (elk and mule deer) rifle. Shots out to 600yds, 800 under the best conditions.

Last edited:
Both will work fine. I would probably go HD for better glass and larger objective for better light gathering. I just purchased a bunch of 3-15 SWFAs and a couple of 6x's. No complaints from me on these scopes.

You have to ask the question "what is it mostly going to be used for and what distance"? Long range shots and target, then higher magnification. General hunting and not intended for targets, then I would go with the 3-15.

To try and shoot itty bitty group, you need higher magnification and fine reticles. Just look at what bench rest shooters use.

I would go with the 20 power, you can always turn it down but you can't go the other way. I use a nf nxs32 power for hunting alot and you would be surprised how often I use it on 32 power. However it only goes down to 8 power which is fine for the most part. It is nice having the extra magnification though when taking the longer shots when the mirage and weather permits. FFP isn't a biggie to me but I can see where it would be nice to have it on a little more of a hurried shot.

I very much prefer a 20x high end on my long range hunting scopes. While I usually carry at a lower power setting for field of view, the higher power range enables me to more effectively dial in on mirage to aid with my wind dope, and, has on many occasions, discerned bullet deflecting saplings/brush, or minimally visible game in the background.

For 600-800 yards, the 3-15×42 is plenty of scope. I have shot my .280AI that used to wear a 3-15×50 out to about 1300 and it was very sufficient for the use of shooting at deer sized game and up. Even coyotes.

If you plan on using the rifle for still hunting and stalking, as well as a long range rifle, the 3x on the low end will be nice with a wider FOV for quick target acquisition.

If you have a separate rifle for still hunting, and this is for glassing and shooting, the SWFA 5-20×50HD is a fantastic scope for this purpose. Your rifle is already going to be heavy, the added 6oz is not going to break the back. If it was a 6# rifle, I would suggest the lighter scope for sure.

If the 5-20×50 is illuminated, another plus for a hunting scope. The HD glass will also help with light gathering, and clarity of course.

The only issue is no zero stop shims for the 5-20. So pay attention when you dial!

The only issue is no zero stop shims for the 5-20. So pay attention when you dial!
I have this shim in the 5-20 HD scope I have on my Savage LRP match rifle
https://zer-ostop.com/shop?olsPage=products/swfa-ss-hd

Thanks for everyone's input.

I'm going to go with 5-20x50 HD.
I was talking it over with one of my athletes. He was pretty convinced that I could drop 6ozs from my pack and train harder for the upcoming season simultaneously.

Last edited:
I'm building a .300 Win Mag on a Savage 111 action with a heavy sporter barrel.
I have 2 scopes to choose from, SWFA SS 3-15x42 ffp and a SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD

Opinions?
Would you say the 3-15 is enough?
Or
Should I suck it up and hump the 5-20?

P.S. This is going to be a dedicated hunting (elk and mule deer) rifle. Shots out to 600yds, 800 under the best conditions.

I have the 5-20x50 HD on my .300 WSM and it's simply awesome.

I built the one on the left with a 111 action in .300wm as well. At first I went with a nightforce 5-20x56 shv. It did great! Had no complaints except for how heavy it was. 29.5oz. it's definitely not extremely heavy. But when you have a 4lb stock, #3.5 barrel, and a Harris bipod. 14lbs dressed is heavy for a pack rifle. If I were to do it all over again I'd go with a different stock for sure. Or saved up more for a carbon fiber fill.

I now switched to a vx5hd 3-15 and cutting out 10oz makes a difference. Not to mention way better clarity on the vx5hd.

Even at 1000yards I don't ever throw it on 20x so the 3-15 was a better choice for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20180525_152831_01.jpg
    IMG_20180525_152831_01.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 339
Wlfdg, I agree.

I Looked elsewhere for my weight savings.
I realize my hunting style may not be suitable for anyone but me.
It seems there's always a trade off, and a sacrifice for just about everything.
As long as you are willing to make those trade offs and sacrifices, you're on the right path for you.

I choose more magnification on my hunting rifles than most probably would. On the high end, 20-24X is where I ended up, but with some non magnum calibers, I'm at 12-16X. My choices seem to serve me well for hunting out west.

I don't put my rifle in a pack when I am hiking, I either carry it shouldered on a sling or in my hand, and the 8-10 oz extra weight is rationalized because I don't carry binoculars with me. My rifle is on my shoulder or in my hand, because if I am walking or hiking, I am already in my hunt area... I am hunting. I only use binoculars when I am in or on a vehicle. Any other time, I'm using the scope on my rifle
I have been able to capitalize with this method many times over the years, by taking game at allot closer range than anticipated for my hunts.

Good luck to you!

As others have said, for the distances you plan to shoot 15x will be sufficient. I like to have more magnification for target shooting because the targets are small and I often shoot much further than I would at a big game animal. For hunting a 3-15, 4-14 or 3-18 power scope is about perfect in my book.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.