300 Win Mag HELP

Jscrapmetal

I have a Sendero in 300 Win Mag heres my question. I thought the gun didn't kick that bad but after shooting it Saturday about 18 times I couldn't shoot it again. My shoulder hurt. What are the best option to help with recoil? I am on the fence about a brake because then the noise is bad unless there is something I don't know. Not sure if a different recoil pad would help or not. Trying to get better at shooting but don't want to get the crap beat out of me doing it. Any help would be great.

Give your shoulder a break and install an effective muzzle brake (for reduced felt recoil and muzzle rise).

An effective muzzle brake is the best option in reducing felt recoil ... being able to see targets on impact is priceless. There are plenty of muzzle brakes out in the market to choose from.

Yup, go with a brake. I was against brakes for years because of the noise, and now that I've got one it's a small price to pay... just wear hearing protection. Wish I had done it years ago. I think the bigger problem is that now I want brakes on all my rifles so that I can spot my shots. Amazing how well they work.

I would first try and inexpensive possible solution .... limbsaver recoil pad.

If that is not good enough, get the barrel threaded and see if you can find someone with a suppressor to try. Then a brake as the final option.

Might be worth trying a recoil reducer in the stock. If that doesn't do it for ya put a break on it. Definatly helpful to see point of impact. Went that rout on a 9lbs 300 wm and I love it. I shoot with hearing protection anyway so its no big deal

Get a brake. I put one on my savage .300 win mag and I love it. It definitely reduces felt recoil and now I can lay behind that rifle shooting all day and my shoulder never gets sore. well worth the investment. IMO gun)

I would first try and inexpensive possible solution .... limbsaver recoil pad.

If that is not good enough, get the barrel threaded and see if you can find someone with a suppressor to try. Then a brake as the final option.

I agree with FAIRCHASE above. I shoot a 300 a lot and usually a good recoil pad is all you should need. I spent most of last fall working up a load in my sons 300 a Ruger at about 8 lbs with a Limb Saver pad and it was easy to shoot even with the 210gr Bergers.

Putting a brake on should be the last option especially if you hunt with it and it's a carry rifle where jump shooting is possible. No one wants to use ear protection when hunting but with a brake ear protection is a must and really sucks in the field but of course if you hunt form a stand or from a quad screw a brake on it.

I wish every rifle I own had a brake on it. You could take it off and use a thread protector if necessary. Check out J E Custom(watch the video) and Defensive Edge web site.

Thanks for the help guys. Just dropped it off with Joe Collier to bed the stock and put a Vais brake on. Will update when I get the gun back.

"Putting a brake on should be the last option especially if you hunt with it and it's a carry rifle where jump shooting is possible. No one wants to use ear protection when hunting but with a brake ear protection is a must and really sucks in the field but of course if you hunt form a stand or from a quad screw a brake on it."

If you shoot a rifle with a break just one time out of a shooting house without ear protection you will NEVER DO IT AGAIN. Don't ask how I know this. Huu What did you say??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.