.300 Win Mag effective range

chris matthews

Hey guys! I'm considering buying a .300 Win Mag for a "step up" from my .308 and was wondering what size game at what range is it capable of? I know it's one of the most popular "big" game rounds, but what are its limits? Or should I save for a really long time(us working cowboys don't make very much)and get a "true" long range rifle? Many thanks.

Chris

I don't know what altitude or temperature range you hunt in but I'd say a 300 Win mag pushing a 180 grain .5 BC bullet should still have over 1000 ft/lbs at 1000 yards. I have no idea what your criteria are for determining a cartridge's effectiveness or capabilities so I state the 1000 ft lbs 'rule'.

I personally don't adhere to this 'rule' as shot placement is far more effective than runamok energy.

A 300 Win mag with an accurate bullet/load would be good for ranges exceeding 1000 yards IMHO.

Dave,
I am at 8000 feet elevation here on the ranch and the temp is COLD!!! It snowed here a week ago but didn't stick. I, too, believe shot placement is far more important than the old energy thing, that's why I use a .223 and a .308 for about everything, but want something to reach a bit further- especially for elk. Now that I know it's enough I can't wait to get my hands on that Savage 112 something. The one with a composite stock and single-shot version. My .308 is a 10p Tactical and I don't think there is a better or more accurate factory rifle! Thanks for the help.

Chris

That 8000 ft altitude really helps out but the cold takes a little away. I believe you'll be fine on any well placed shot. If I lived and/or routinely hunted at higher elevations I'd be forced to change my ring setup to get more distance. Currently I'm limited to about 1100 to 1400 yards depending on the rifle I pick. I'd be after a big taper set of bases and a Leupold MK4 M1 16x or something like the ULR guy shoot.

Good luck with your hunts, verify data on site and get a big one.

Chris,

Look in the back of the Hornaday 47th reloading manual (should have at any gun store) and they have a couple of real helpful tables. The first is the average and maximum weights of common game animals. The second table covers the energy that different weight bullets of different caliber have at different ranges. This table basically tells you the maximum weight of an animal that you can take for a certain caliber and weight of bullet for a certain range. Extremely helpful. For example, quoting from memory (I think) a 100gr .243 bullet still has enough energy to take a 100 lb animal at 300 (or was it 400) yrds. Referring to the table on animal weight, you see that an antelope buck weighs 80 lbs. Thus you're ok to take one out to 300 yrds (again these number may not be exactly what the table says since it's been a few years since I hunted antelope with a .243). If you're gonna take animals at range, you have to remember that there's a big difference in shooting an animal with a perfect side view vs shooting an animal with a quartering view (either front or rear). It takes a lot more rifle to penetrate through say a rear quartering shot then a perfect side view shot. I just try to use a bit more then what I think is enough rifle for the job. Hope this helps.

RR

Anyone who can't hit a 5" plate at a certain distance on first shot shouldn't be shooting at a living big game has no business just trying shots at longer distance because the big game deserves a quick kill and not suffer.

Is 20 years between the last post and the one before it a record????? Generations of deer & elk have come and gone in between.
Quite possible!🤣😂 If the OP actually responds (after NOT being seen here for nearly a decade) I'd say THAT would definitely qualify. 👍
I think this might be the archaeological find in LRH's history esp. from the 1st poster. 😇

ADDED: There's also a hint of rule#1.

Last edited: