300 win mag effective range

Tagnbagem

Iam new to this forum, I was wondering what the effective range of my 300 win mag, hells canyon x bolt long range would be with 200 ELD, VX 5 HD ON A 0 Moa rail with medium mounts roughly 1.75 centerline.

Are you wondering where you will run out of adjustment or if it has enough energy to kill some type of game animal?

Look up the spec's on your scope and see how much elevation adjustment it has, divide by 2 then subtract about 10% of the remainder.

That will tell you how much drop you have in MOA.

Match that against a ballistic chart for your chosen round and it will get you pretty close.

Most likely, somewhere between about 850-1050yds.

Now, unless you have the skills to shoot sub MOA it doesn't mean you'll hit anything smaller than a 50 gallon drum at that range but it will tell you what your rifle, scope, and ammo combo is capable of.

Look up the spec's on your scope and see how much elevation adjustment it has, divide by 2 then subtract about 10% of the remainder.

Match that against a ballistic chart for your chosen round and it will get you pretty close.

Now, unless you have the skills to shoot sub MOA it doesn't mean you'll hit anything smaller than a 50 gallon drum at that range but it will tell you what your rifle, scope, and ammo combo is capable of.

The Leupold vx 5 hd has 75 Moa effective 37.5 each direction. the reason I ask is that at my range we have a 1000 yd and would like to shoot targets at that range and under. really didn't want to go to a 20 Moa rail as I will hunt at reasonable distances also. Thanks for the replies and didn't mean to confuse.

The Leupold vx 5 hd has 75 Moa effective 37.5 each direction. the reason I ask is that at my range we have a 1000 yd and would like to shoot targets at that range and under. really didn't want to go to a 20 Moa rail as I will hunt at reasonable distances also. Thanks for the replies and didn't mean to confuse.
Practically then you have at least 30 MOA to work with so you should be fine.

As a guideline just look up the load data for your load combination starting with either a 100-200yds zero and see what it gives you for drops out to 1000.

This is what I use for a close approximation when I'm working up loads.

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/

Agree with wild rose, My .300 winMag with 210 Berger is around 25 MOA at 1000.

You should be good with approx 30 MOA.

Why would you not want to go with a 20 MOA base? By using this type of base you will gain more elevation usage. Most of my actions are the type with an integral 20 MOA rail and it does not hurt anything.

Why would you not want to go with a 20 MOA base? By using this type of base you will gain more elevation usage. Most of my actions are the type with an integral 20 MOA rail and it does not hurt anything.

Yep! All my scopes have enough internal adjustments for 1K yards but I still use 20 MOA without any issues.

Bruce Ventura used to have an excellent post on using 20 MOA or not on a .308 at 1000 yards even with sufficient internal adjustment but I cannot seem to find it.

Last edited:
Get Burris signature or xtr signature rings. You can put 0,10,20 moa inserts in or combine them for for 5 or 15 moa. The closer you keep the reticle to the center of the system the better. 10moa in the rings is about perfect to get to 1k for your 300 for all a round use.

I have an older Leupold V X III on a 308 Norma magnum. I have regular bases and rings in use. I can shoot to 1550 yards with this set up, I'm out of adjustment at 244 clicks, 61 min. of angle. This caliber and the 300 Winchester magnum are about the same in as practical shooting distance goes. I own both caliber guns. My 308 Norma is a bench gun, that being said I wanted as many clicks for down range as I could get, so the scope was shimmed and the gun sighted in at 300 yards. This gave me near all of my clicks or minutes for down range. But both of these guns really stall out past 1200 to 1300 yards. When checking my down range clicks on the 308 Norma one winter 1300 yards was next on my list. I had already shot checked them out to 1200 yards and the drop chart that the gun shop worked up for me was nothing less than amazing. I located an oak leaf laying on the snow at 1300 hundred yards. 1st shot just left and about a foot low, 2nd shot oak leaf went straight up in the air. I eventually got to the end of my clicks, 222 at 1500 yards and it took the last 22 clicks just to be on at 1550. That's 22 clicks for 50 yards, It is really dropping like a rock now. Each click at 1550 yards is over 3.75 inches per click times 22 that's over 82.5 inches or 6.875 feet drop in 50 yards. Now! an extra 20 MOA would be WORTHLESS on these to calibers. Save them for a Lapua or another mile and a half or two mile gun. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.