300 Win Mag Component Advice

26 is even better...no schitt. i have not touched my 4831 since i got 26....3 8 lb jugs,,i like it so much
I did try it many years ago when i got the rifle , however , for whatever reason the IMR 4831 is my go to powder for 270WSM , 300 Win Mag , 7MM Mag , 300 WSM and 338 Lapua .

for the record, the current small group record at 1000 yards is a 300 wsm with reloder 23.
the 1000 win in score this year was a 300 wsm with reloder 23
again i have not touched 4831 since i started with reloder26/23.
maybe go look again

for the record, the current small group record at 1000 yards is a 300 wsm with reloder 23.
the 1000 win in score this year was a 300 wsm with reloder 23
again i have not touched 4831 since i started with reloder26/23.
maybe go look again
The problem for me is where i live . Northern Ontario Canada . We have to use what we can get from where ever and when ever we can find it . I'll hunt around and see if i can find any though just so i can try it.

Back for some more advice! I settled on a Seekins Havak PH2, and mounted a Leupold VX5 3-15 and an APA Little Bastard brake on it. Haven't shot it yet, but loaded up a batch to zero it and a ladder that hopefully gives me promising results.

I stuck with the 168 TTSX's and Lapua brass, and acquired Fed GM215M's, but I have a dilemma with powder weights:

I'm running Ramshot Magnum starting at 78.0 (load data shows max charge of 86.6). I usually load in .5 increments with a ladder, but that'd be 18 different groups I'd have to test. My plan was to increase by 1 grain increments and chase a velocity goal of about 3,200 FPS, then fine tune when I got in the ballpark of my desired velocity.

I realize there's risk of pressure issues with going up by 1 grain, but I'm starting at the minimum and also limited my max charge to 86.0, and with a longer barrel than used in the load data I think I'll find my desired velocity before I hit any pressure. What are your guy's thoughts?

Attachments

• 0BB36460-1519-4BB0-B2C7-D56FBC86EBAB.jpeg
    0BB36460-1519-4BB0-B2C7-D56FBC86EBAB.jpeg
    805.8 KB · Views: 46
Back for some more advice! I settled on a Seekins Havak PH2, and mounted a Leupold VX5 3-15 and an APA Little Bastard brake on it. Haven't shot it yet, but loaded up a batch to zero it and a ladder that hopefully gives me promising results.

I stuck with the 168 TTSX's and Lapua brass, and acquired Fed GM215M's, but I have a dilemma with powder weights:

I'm running Ramshot Magnum starting at 78.0 (load data shows max charge of 86.6). I usually load in .5 increments with a ladder, but that'd be 18 different groups I'd have to test. My plan was to increase by 1 grain increments and chase a velocity goal of about 3,200 FPS, then fine tune when I got in the ballpark of my desired velocity.

I realize there's risk of pressure issues with going up by 1 grain, but I'm starting at the minimum and also limited my max charge to 86.0, and with a longer barrel than used in the load data I think I'll find my desired velocity before I hit any pressure. What are your guy's thoughts?
I would start by jumping a grain at a time, but only load one or two of each. When you are getting close to where your velocity goal is and have no pressure signs, start shooting for groups. Or just do a ladder test until you see pressure signs.

load a batch just to find pressure 5 - 10 only , then drop 2% and start e new work up with the smaller grain increment

Why worry about 1-2 grain increments on a 300win unless you are teasing the top? I often go with a low, mild, wild in 1 to 2 grain hops in 3 to 4 steps to find the basic parameters of what the rifle wants. If you don't land exactly where you want on a step or you get hot quick, then change the ballgame a bit and hop up slower. You can burn a rifle (or at least your wallet) out working a load.
Ramshot Magnum is a decent powder in the 300win, but it's a bit slow burning for a 165 class bullet. I'd look at rl22, 7828, h4831 (not sc). Possibly even I4831 or aa2700. For some reason I've always lost 100fps in a 300win with 4831 sc compared to regular.