300 Win Mag Component Advice

SArnold30

LONG-WINDED WARNING!
I'm planning a 300 Win Mag project with factory rifle options in mind for myself, and I know it's a little weird to be thinking about components for a rifle I don't even have yet, but given recent trends in availability, the rifle seems the easiest thing to come by and I'd like to be ready to load for it when I do buy it. So I figured I'd start researching components and look for advice/experience here early, and buy things as they become available.

My intended use for this rifle is primarily backpack hunts that I'd consider my premium opportunities or for just larger game (limited entry in-state hunts, or out of state for elk, moose, sheep, etc.). My budget is somewhere around $2000-3000 excluding the scope, and I'm considering these rifles: Seekins Havak, Christensen Ridgeline, Cooper 92 Backcountry, Browning X Bolt Long Range McMillan, or Fierce Fury/Edge (open to other suggestions as well). The front runner for me is the Cooper, but whatever I eventually settle on, I'll be buying within the next year.

I primarily hunt California, so I already load Barnes and Hammer's in my other hunting rifles and plan to use a copper bullet in this rifle as well. Because of this I already have several hundred 168 gr TTSX on hand that I'd prefer to use, or would consider either 166 Hammer Hunters or 175 Lehigh Controlled Chaos. I use Lapua brass for all my other loads and managed to snag a box of Lapua for this project not long ago, and I have some Reloder 17 a friend gave me; but otherwise this will be my first magnum rifle so I'm not really setup to load for it and that's all the supplies I've gathered to date. I can get some Reloder 19 from the same friend, as I know it's a good powder for this cartridge, but I'd also like to give Ramshot Magnum, IMR 4350 and 4831, and H4350 a shot.

I'm partial to Federal Gold Medal primers (I use these in both large and small rifle already) but the 215's are near impossible to find right now and will probably stay that way. I'm curious about the CCI's I've been seeing pop up regularly and would be open to trying them.

Thanks for reading! If anyone has experience with the listed rifles in 300 WM, or loaded with any of the combinations of components I've listed, your input is greatly appreciated!

actually i like feds to as my number one, but in the same boat as you, and found win lrmag to work very well in my current 300 wm build. excellent at 600, still have not tested at 1000.

I have 2 factory savages that are very accurate for production guns (110). A stealth w/24" barrel and a ba/le w/26" barrel. I also am building on 3 mla savage actions. 2 currently, 1 30" carbon6 barrel (mcgowen) and a 32" 264wm ss mcgowen. Both are untested and unfinished, but need a few items for the finish. CCI is and has been the only primers I've used for pistol and rifle (ba, lever and ar).

I have a ridgeline in 300 PRC- no complaints at all I would buy again. Even with an ATACR on it I'm still under 9.5lbs. I think the 300WM is well suited to those lighter bullets. I would recommend the Larry Willis collet die also to deal with the belted case issues that can arise.

Certainly some of the factory guns will treat you well and I'm a big fan of the 300wm.
IMO...buy components and make it custom fit you. Get the proper stock for YOU. I need a longer LOP and like thumbhole stocks, so most factory guns feel like youth models to me. But that gun needs to pull up fit you like your well used hunting boots. Get the action you like with the feeding system of your choice (mag or bdl). Really important that you have at least 3.75" of COAL available. The biggest part is the barrel. Buy a high quality barrel from an aftermarket company. They have the best probability of being super accurate. With your budget you could go with a CF barrel. IME the barrel is about 90% of the overall accuracy. This is where I'd spend some money.

CCI primers work well, but I often don't use them because the only FTF issues I've had is with CCI. H1000 is your friend if you ever get out of your communist state and shoot heavier/Cup N Core bullets.

H 1000 CCI 250 primers and a burger 185 juggernaut shoots cloverleafs in my 300 WinMag
1DA51D52-108C-46B5-A567-611509A984FD.jpeg

I do like the notion of a carbon fiber barrel, part of the allure of the Christensen's and the Fierce's to me. Earlier this year I had the opportunity to handle a Savage 110 with a CF barrel (I believe it was the Ultralite model, unavailable in 300 WM) and was impressed with its ergonomics; until I realized it was chambered in 6.5 Creed and I started hearing strange voices trying to convince me to trade in my truck for a Subaru with a coexist sticker on it, so I put the rifle down immediately. The Cooper 92 is quite light for not having a CF barrel though, and I have shot and developed loads for a couple already (albeit they are Model 54's), so that's why it's the front runner because I feel like I'm most familiar with them given my options.

H1000 is another great powder I forgot put on my list to look at/for! I definitely think I could see that being an ideal choice and working well should I opt to go with a 180 gr bullet (would probably be the Hammer Hunter). Most of my hunting shots are generally between 250-400 yards, and I only have range access out to 600, so I personally wouldn't attempt a shot any further than that on game, but I think the options somewhere in the 165-180 gr range are perfectly suited to meet those needs.

I have a seekins havak ph1 in 6.5 prc. I don't think there is a better $1800 turn key rifle out there right now. So that's my vote.Their new line spiced up the looks for the better. I just bought a fierce carbon rival in 300 PRC. It comes in right at 6 1/2 pounds with a titanium brake and rail. I havnt shot it yet but the only negative thing I have found is I don't care for how the action closes but if it shoots like it should I won't care.

As far as components, I'd keep an eye out for some vv560,565,570. Seems to be the most consistent company spitting out powder. At least it stays in stock long enough to actually buy, not read a post about.