300 Win Mag COAL to lands?

rufous

I am wondering what the average cartridge overall length would be on 300 Winchester Magnums with the bullet seated to just touch the lands. I understand that it will vary quite a bit depending on bullet style but what are you all finding? Thanks, Rufous.

Hey you guys with 300 Win Mags, please help me out here. I am wondering if my gunsmith gave me an excessively long throat. When I got the rifle back from the gunsmith the following bullets touched the lands at the following overall cartridge lengths: Sierra 220 Matchking=3.565"; Nosler 180 ballistic tip=3.605"; Nosler 180 Partition=3.590"; Nosler 200 Partition=3.605"; Barnes 180 XBT=3.585". Now a year later after shooting it and trying different loads the throat has lengthened by 0.055". So what I was hoping is that some of you could actually give me measurements of your 300 Win Mag chambers with the overall cartridge length when some of these bullets just touch the lands. Then I would have an idea as to whether my throat is excessively long. Thanks, Rufous

rufous
I am asumming you are measuring from tip of bullet instead of ogive? I use 220 MK and to the tip it is around 3.59 and to the ogive with sinclair comparator it is 3.915 and am .010 of the lands.I use the 220 mostly. This is an older sendero and has some throat wear.

S1, how is that going to help me? My throat is what it is and cannot be changed to the dimension you might suggest without setting the barrel back and rechambering. But to see what you are talking about first bullet choice would be Nosler 200 Partition, second choice Nosler 180 Partition and third choice Barnes 180XBT. I am mainly wondering if the throat on my rifle in absurdly long compared to others. Rufous

180 BT is 3.580" in mine, 180 Scirocco is seated .032" shorter than this OAL.

That is with the case neck split method, Stoney Point showed .010" longer, or 3.590" accross the board with all I measured using both methods, the Stoney Point puts a tad more pressure on the bullet is all, both were consistant though.

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Long throat is a gift. you can safely increase powder charge while maintaining same pressure. My .300 can be loaded to 3.620 using 180 gr nosler etip. can max out loads up to 81 grains but seem to get good results and case life downloading to 77 grains of H4831.

Yes this is probably one of the most ancient posts I ever gave my two cents worth, but ballistics and canister grade powder remain the same in 2009 as it did in 2001. There is still a lot of people who have COL concerns and dont realize that reloading ammo to match current chamber conditions is the way to go. I found this forum because I was having COL issues with another gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.