300 win mag bullets

A lot of good bullets out there, but... I like the Nosler Partition in the .300 WM, say 200gr for the bigger game Elk size. It's been tipping them over since 1948 and still gets the job done, perhaps I'm old school, but the 180gr and 200gr Partitions have always worked well in my .300 WM rifles over the years. As for powder, pick the velocity you want, and pick the powder, start low, find the sweet spot, and have a good hunt. Just my 0.2 Cheers

Last edited:
I didn't read the whole thread, so if I repeat something forgive me.

With the 10" twist I would rather run the 180g Hammer Hunter than the 181g Hammer Hunter. The 181g used to be listed as a 10" twist but it is just a tad long for full stability.

The 166g Hammer Hunter would be a great option. Out to 700y this one is tough to beat.

If you can get hold of ADG or Peterson brass you can see 3300 fps from the 180g Hammer Hunter and about 3450 fps with the 166g Hammer Hunter. We have not tried the new Lapua brass yet, so not sure there. Other brass will top out about 150 fps less. Rl23 has been our go to in the 300wm.

A lot of good bullets out there, but... I like the Nosler Partition in the .300 WM, say 200gr for the bigger game Elk size. It's been tipping them over since 1948 and still gets the job done, perhaps I'm old school, but the 180gr and 200gr Partitions have always worked well in my .300 WM rifles over the years. As for powder, pick the velocity you want, and pick the powder, start low, find the sweet spot, and have a good hunt. Just my 0.2 Cheers
I like the partition as well I've used it in 270 win for years I was actually trying to find some 30 cal partition this morning but no luck yet.

With the 10" twist I would rather run the 180g Hammer Hunter than the 181g Hammer Hunter. The 181g used to be listed as a 10" twist but it is just a tad long for full stability.

The 166g Hammer Hunter would be a great option. Out to 700y this one is tough to beat.

If you can get hold of ADG or Peterson brass you can see 3300 fps from the 180g Hammer Hunter and about 3450 fps with the 166g Hammer Hunter. We have not tried the new Lapua brass yet, so not sure there. Other brass will top out about 150 fps less. Rl23 has been our go to in the 300wm.
Thank you for the info I'm for sure going to try the 166 hammer hunters and may order some 180s as well to try.and I do have some adg brass on the way hopefully will be delivered today

I have a Remington 700 SS 5R MilSpec rifle , 26" with 1:10" twist 26" factory barrel .
I am shooting both the Berger 215gr Hybrid , and the Hornady 208gr ELD-M bullets in Win. brass , Win Large Rifle Magnum primers , using Hodgdon Retumbo powder , both running nearly identical 2910 FPS , and both bullets shoot to almost same point of impact out to 700 yards .
I tried using Hodgdon H1000 powder , but I could not get near 2900 FPS without excessive pressure .
Retumbo has worked best for me , and it has been more accurate in my rifle .

I have NO personal experience of either bullet's performance on killing Big Game animals .

I think that you should be able to locate and purchase the Hornady 208 ELD-M bullets , somewhere online .

I'm new to reloading, but my first attempt was with 200 grain eldx's in new peterson brass. Only had one powder load go over an inch but settled on a load thats grouping around .75" and going 2882 fps. I will be playing with that a little more but was looking for a load to be ready for spring bear.

Mag box length?
Are you going to single feed them?
With the 181 Hammers, test your twist, don't just go with what you ordered or was stamped on the barrel. 181 would not stabilize in a 10.25 twist for me.
Depending on your realistic hunting ranges, I would also add the 152 Hammer to your list. It is my mIn for my 300 WM in VA. Shoots well in mine as did the 181 with a 10 twist, but that has to be a single feed with it.
Or try 174 Hammer Hunters, considerably shorter than the 181's. Steve developed them specifically for short mags like in my Tikka T3X 300 WM (mag. =3.370") and they shoot great, especially with H4831SC.

How about the 174 HH…you recommended it for my Tikka T3X (1:10") because of the short magazine; as mentioned earlier in this thread …the 174 shoots great. I thought I was going to get a chance to use it on elk in WY this year BUT just learned yesterday that the preference point creep negated that, so my buddies and I are going to roll over our deposits til 2024🙏.

How about the 174 HH…you recommended it for my Tikka T3X (1:10") because of the short magazine; as mentioned earlier in this thread …the 174 shoots great. I thought I was going to get a chance to use it on elk in WY this year BUT just learned yesterday that the preference point creep negated that, so my buddies and I are going to roll over our deposits til 2024🙏.
Yes! Also a good option. The 166g Hammer Hunter is still a long nosed bullet compared to "normal". We also added recently the 189g Hammer Hunter that will stabilize in a 10" twist and fit into the restrictive magazines that are out there.

Yes! Also a good option. The 166g Hammer Hunter is still a long nosed bullet compared to "normal". We also added recently the 189g Hammer Hunter that will stabilize in a 10" twist and fit into the restrictive magazines that are out there.
That's good to know, how does the 189's COAL compare to the 174's?

The Berger 205 Elite Hunter might be of interest and are in stock:

Berger 210 HVLD are also in stock here (picture is wrong, product # is correct):