.300 Win Mag build?

Nauxier16

Hey guys, I just picked up my new build yesterday (Remington 700 .300Win Mag 28" shilen heavy barrel, and I was am trying to work up a load with the 168gr Sierra match kings that I already have for my .308. I am using Reloader22 powder and alliants website says to use 79gr so I started out at 78gr. and my oal to the Ogive with the bullet about .002 off the lands is 2.875. Does that sound right or have I missed something? Just don't want to have a malfunction....
Thanks!

You may have missed the front half of your reloading manual.

Start at minimum or no more than mid point and watch for pressure signs as you work up in 0.5 grain increments particularly in a new rifle.

.002 off the lands doesn't leave much room for error particularly with a near max load.

Start low and work up is the safe approach.

Start at recommended COAL and fine tune after you have a load your rifle likes.

Near max loads possibly into the lands is not where you want to start.

Step away from the bench and do some reading before proceeding.

RL 22 is a excellent powder in the 300 Win

RL 22 @76.0
180 Nosler Accubond
Fed 215match primer
WW cases

Makes a excellent load.

Alliant website is a good source

Start at minimum or no more than mid point and watch for pressure signs as you work up in 0.5 grain increments particularly in a new rifle.

.002 off the lands doesn't leave much room for error particularly with a near max load.

I agree with these thoughts.

You may have missed the front half of your reloading manual.

Step away from the bench and do some reading before proceeding.

lightbulb+1! There is NO substitute for safety; SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY FIRST. lightbulb

I talked to a tech from sierra and he told me the .300 win mag that they tested with liked 77.8gr of RE-22 and said that it won't hurt anything to try the 10 rounds that I already have loaded. He said my gun may or may not like the load but he said everything will be fine because alliant has 79gr listed as max load. I have currently loaded "per my sierra manual" 190gr SMK RE-22 70.4gr at a COAL of 3.340" and that is sierras accuracy load.

I talked to a tech from sierra and he told me the .300 win mag that they tested with liked 77.8gr of RE-22 and said that it won't hurt anything to try the 10 rounds that I already have loaded. He said my gun may or may not like the load but he said everything will be fine because alliant has 79gr listed as max load. I have currently loaded "per my sierra manual" 190gr SMK RE-22 70.4gr at a COAL of 3.340" and that is sierras accuracy load.

You've been provided a sound safety advice in this forum, what you do with it is entirely up to you. You have the ultimate decision and full responsibility of your actions and must face the consequence(s) associated with that decision.

Again, good luck!

I'm not sure how I am doing anything "unsafe" since I am following my manual to exact tolerances. If I'm not supposed to follow the manual there is no reason to step away from the bench and do some reading first.
Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure how I am doing anything "unsafe" since I am following my manual to exact tolerances. If I'm not supposed to follow the manual there is no reason to step away from the bench and do some reading first.
Thanks for the help.

"We" can only offer recommendation(s) and none of us are going to be anywhere near you, but you are the one that has to ultimately pull the trigger; that's the risk you have to make amends with Murphy as he does not discriminate.

I have nothing else to add other than reiterate safety ... good luck!

In the 300 win mag because of the high VEL I suggest 180 or heavier.
But if insist on using lighter bullets suggest bonded or all copper like Nosler E tip or Barnes TTSX. You will have more meat left for the table.

The new 190gr Nosler Long Range Accubond would be very proficient with RL 22 in the 300 Win Mag.

I often get load suggestions from this site and others. But I have my reloading manuals also.

:)

Alaska, I bought the 190gr sierra match kings to use instead of the 168gr. Do you have any experience with them, if so how well did they work for you? I may order the noslers to try them to see if my gun will like them.
Thanks!

You are off to a good start

190 sierra MK and Reloader 22

Now get WW brass and Fed 215gm primers

70.4 should get you the majic 2900 FPS same as the military sniper ammo

I don't suggest hunting with the Match King

What gun do you have?

I just built a Remington 700 with a 28" a Shilen match grade heavy contour barrel with a varga tactical elite muzzle brake, 20moa EGW picatinny base, vortex viper precision matched rings and Vortex viper PST 6-24X50mm scope. The gun weighs 17.2 pounds without ammo in it, I don't plan on hunting with it but if so are the noslers a good game bullet?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.