300 win mag brass

jskmtd

What is the best brass to use in the 300 win mag and why?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate your comments.
Jon

I have had good luck with RWS and nosler ! RWS is a little on the thick side so watch for pressure signs !

Have used Rem and Win both. Lately the Rem brass has been more consistent in weight than the Win. The Rem brass has averaged about 2 gr. + or - / the Win was 5 to 10 gr.

If you're going to load maximum pressure loads, RWS would be the way to go. Tough primer pockets. Strong case heads.

This maybe a dumb question but, how does the less case capacity of the RWS brass effect muzzle velocity (ie: more or less velocity)?
Thanks, Jon

The larger the case capacity, the greater the MV, given equal pressures.

If you load a smaller capacity case to a higher pressure than a smaller capacity case, of course the smaller capacity case could launch the bullet faster. But if both cases are loaded to equal pressures, the larger capacity case has a greater volume of gas to expel the bullet out the muzzle at a higher velocity.

The larger the case capacity, the greater the MV, given equal pressures.

If you load a smaller capacity case to a higher pressure than a larger capacity case, of course the smaller capacity case could launch the bullet faster. But if both cases are loaded to equal pressures, the larger capacity case has a greater volume of gas to expel the bullet out the muzzle at a higher velocity.

I see I had an error in my original Post. It's been corrected above, with the bolded word larger replacing the word 'smaller' in my originally posted answer. Sorry for the confusion.

My hunting loads were developed using Rem brass, target with Winchester. No real difference between the two that I've noticed, just what I had on hand, so it got used.
I'm sure there's better quality available, but I'm getting 1/2" groups with the Rem brass and 165 Accubonds, so see no reason to change anything.

This maybe a dumb question but, how does the less case capacity of the RWS brass effect muzzle velocity (ie: more or less velocity)?
Thanks, Jon

Not a dumb question at all...

If you already have a favorite load, then you put the same amount of powder into a case with smaller capacity, the pressure can be higher due to the smaller case capacity. That increase could be too much pressure and blow the rifle.

Kinda like stuffing the same amount of compressed air and fuel from a Harley's cylinder into a briggs and stratton and then light the plug. BOOM!!

The general rule of thumb is to back off the load anytime a component changes, then work back up to make sure that change doesn't causes extreme pressures. If you don't have a load yet, start at the "start" load and work up, looking for pressure signs on every round fired.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.