300 Win Mag brass quality

rufous

I am having my rifle rebarreled to 300 Win Mag and wonder which brass is typically the best between Remington, Winchester and Federal Gold Medal? Which has the greatest case capacity and which the least? Thanks, Rufous.

Rufous,
I've had the best luck overall with Winchester for quality and internal capacity also in the 30 Win Mag. I've had good Rem and Fed brass but day in and day out for my 300 Win (and other calibers also) I prefer Winchester for the domestic brass manufacturers. I had as much as 14 firings on my match set of Win cases without a single failure before I sold that rifle. This was a factory Remington chamber and Redding NS and FL bushing die setup.

If I had to rank the Domestic "Big 3" talking in general terms for all the caliber that I have experience with, I would say:

1)Winchester
2)Federal
3)Remington

I had a problem one time with Federal GM match brass for my 300 Winny that the internal capacity was so small that I got pressure signs when shooting a 180 Nosler BT just over 2850fps in a 26" barrel. Went to my Winchester brass and my match load was 3020fps with the 175gr Sierra. But the Federal brass measured pretty well though. Remington is up/down. You can get really good and really bad IMO.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.