300 Win Mag brass - best one?

300jcc

I was JUST about to pull the trigger on some Nosler brass in .300 Win Mag when I found a thread on here that just saved me a bunch of $. So, having been a huge fan of Lapua (wish it was available), Norma and Winchester brass in the past, and always trusting "brand names", I started to wonder............... what's the best bang for the buck for anyone who pushes 210 VLDs to their limits in the 3 hun?

I could definitely dig on a few opinions here, as about every post I have read on this site is really good stuff. FYI-This site is a bit different from others I have been on - can't seem to find the "attitudes" so prevalent on other sites.........which is not a bad thing!
Thanks!

What's "best" mean to anyone? In general terms, I find WW is a little better for "hot" loads, it's usually a little thinner so it can digest a tad more powder, usually, than Rem and Fed. But, the slightly thicker and softer Rem and Fed cases usually lasts a little longer. But nothing is invarably and eternally true or without exceptions when speaking of any of our components, is it?

Lately I've been buying Remington. Had the bad experience with Nosler, have had split neck with WW, can't get Lapua and Norma is too expensive. The Remington's usually have a thick enough neck for me to have enough brass for me to turn down to where I want it.

Haven't had a bad batch of Remingtons...........yet.

Keep digging. I started with WW and soon became tired of the inconsistant neck thickness and the runout problems. So I kept looking and I was lucky enough to buy 200 Lapua 300 win mag cases and 125 RWS.

My first ten test rounds with the Lapua came out with average runout at 1/2 thou. Plus we are getting the same velocity with 1 1/2 grains less powder. I will admit I am a brass freak. But loading with good brass makes me look good. My votes are for Lapua and RWS

Jeff

I bought 100 pieces of WW brass and couldn't believe the inconsistencies in neck thickness. They were all over the place, up to .005 Winchester was good about it and paid for the shipping back to their facility, and sent me a new lot. This lot was actually worse. About 50 of them had torn flash holes from when the primer pockets were punched. After that, I returned them for the Norma.

I had a lot of people tell me to just get the Norma in the first place, but I was trying to save money. When these arrived, I couldn't believe the difference in quality. I ended up getting 140 pieces and kept 132. Most of the neck variances were .001 and the rest of the keepers were .002 The other 8 are all .003 and may end up being used at some time. I don't think you can go wrong with the Norma. They have only been through two firings so I can't give any info on longevity yet.

+1 for Lapua. Case neck thickness very uniform. You don't have to debur the flash holes. I also sort my brass by weight. Some think it helps, others don't. I've had boxes of Lapua weigh out within one full grain where as Winchester will vary by as much as 4 or 5 grains. I don't have a 300 win mag any more but when I did I used Lapua brass, WLRM, 210 Berger VLD.

I think I have used most of the different brands of 300WM brass and will say that in my experience most of them are comparable with two exceptions. First, the Lapua is much better than everything else I have tried. It is very consistent and brass life is excellent--too bad I can't find more!! I don't think they are still making it. Second, the two lots of Nosler 300WM brass I tried were terrible!! Very inconsistent to the point that some of them would not even chamber in my rifle due to belt thickness variations.

WW. I generally sort 50 at a time and find the bulk are within 0.001-0.0015 variance and probably 3 or 4 will exceed 0.002 which is my "cut off".

I have 60 RWS that I've not used yet, but I found their neck thickness consistency not markedly better when I measured them. It may be better brass for other reasons though, but as I haven't used it I can't say.

I've been very pleased with WW.

Thanks to all who replied. I hadn't bought brass in forever, so it helps to hear from folks who have! I picked up some Remingtons - and am still searching for some Lapua or RWS that some supplier still might have, but just like when the last Dem took office - I feel fortunate if I can find ANY components.

Thanks to all who replied. I hadn't bought brass in forever, so it helps to hear from folks who have! I picked up some Remingtons - and am still searching for some Lapua or RWS that some supplier still might have, but just like when the last Dem took office - I feel fortunate if I can find ANY components.

Last I recall Huntingtons had RWS..... but I haven't looked at the site recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.