300 Win Mag Berger Bullets Help!

montanagrizfan

I'm new to the forum and knew you guys would be the ones to ask. I tried to get info. from berger on this but no success. Anyway, here's my issue. I have a Winchester Model 70 300 Win. Mag. I've been trying to shoot Berger 175 VLD's out of it but can"t get it to group. Berger suggests loading just off the lands and work from there but in order to load in my magazine i have to bring it down to just over C.O.A.L. (3.34) Any suggestions on what to do? ANybody had similiar issues? Should I switch bullets? Any help would be great. Thanks

Welcome aboard

Hmmmmmmm,
Have you read this: http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/vld-bullets-accuracy-1.php

Is your bore "as new" clean - no copper fouling?

May need a longer magazine box. I'm not sure if one exists for the M 70?

I take the easy way out. All of my LRH rifles are single shot. Thus I only have to be concerned about extracting a loaded round. So fare no problem.

Just stumbled upon that article. Gonna give it a good read and see what happens. Thought about having the magazine box worked on to make it bigger but thought I'd get some advice first. We'll see what happens. I'll let u know.

I'd go through the load development process recommended by Berger. See if they will shoot at whatever length is necessary and, if they do, AND it's longer than mag box then decide from there what you want to do. I second the single shot idea. I've even removed the ejector on some of my rifles, so go figure....

I know that you asked about the 175's, I shoot those in my 308 win and they shoot great just touching the lands or in the lands a bit. I hunt with my 300 win and use the 210's, I messed with the load and seating depth. I did not want to jamb a hunting bullet into the lands and have it become separated from the brass when I had to unload. I ended up with 76 gr of H-1000 and the bullet just touching the lands. I seat with a Redding comp seater and I check every bullet prior to going to the field to make sure it unloads. This is with RWS brass neck sized w/Lee collet die.

Thanks for all the responses. I knew I came to the right place. Got a decent group @ 200 w/ 69.5 g of H414 and just over C.O.L. (3.35) so that it would fit in the box. Don't know how they'll perform on elk but we'll see in a couple of weeks. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.