300 win mag at 1000 yards for elk

500 elk is a decent number, but without more information there isn't anything scientific about it. We don't know about velocities, typical shooting ranges, caliber, number of shooters, etc. Culling 500 animals at night at 100 yards on a ranch won't tell you anything about what happens in typical hunting situations. To be clear, I am NOT suggesting this is what they did (we don't know), but there isn't anywhere close enough to enough information here to draw any conclusions. That's one problem with trying to share or lean things on an Internet forum.

Most likely the information is known to bigngreen and supports some conclusions, but he hasn't shared enough here for me to change anything I do.

I switched to Accubonds when reloading components were hard to get many years ago.Nosler Partitions were impossible to get so I tried Accubonds and got better accuracy and super clean kills at all ranges up to my longest a bit over 600 yards and its impossible to die any quicker but to the question of a kill at 1000 yards is a bit different.2 years ago I walked up on a guy that shot a bull elk at a bit over 1000 yards with a 180 gr Accubond so I helped him track it and with little blood all we had was tracks and we found it dead.
30 cal hole in and out,no expansion!I'm old but he was older so I helped field dress the elk and have to agree with bigngreen about poor expansion with a regular accubond at long range like 1000 yards.
I bought some 190 gr LRAB and worked up a load for my 300 win mag and keep them with me for shots over 600 yards.Or maybe move up to 210 LRAB
Just my 2 cents guys
Old Rooster

Last edited:
Okay guys question.... I am pretty sure I'm over thinking this but I have been told my 300 win mag with a 180gr nos AB moving at 3128 FPS at the muzzle will kill an elk at 1000 yards I have shot this gun to 1000 yards before and am confident that I can make a shot like that if I wanted to not saying I will but it's kind of fun to think about I suppose but looking at the ballistic tables it shows maybe 600-800 yards is max for elk any body want to help me out on this
You should be good to 1000 yards. I can't find 180 grain Nosler AB but did find some 190 grain. If you can get 3000 - 3050 FPS you should be good. Nosler says their AB bullets need 1600 FPS to expand properly. 1000 ft-lbs of kinetic energy should be enough to break a shoulder. Get a ballistics app to check for yourself because you are shooting a live animal. I've taken elk with a 260 Remington and 140 grain Berger bullet around the 1000 yards range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts