300 win mag at 1000 yards for elk

Bigcountry94

Okay guys question.... I am pretty sure I'm over thinking this but I have been told my 300 win mag with a 180gr nos AB moving at 3128 FPS at the muzzle will kill an elk at 1000 yards I have shot this gun to 1000 yards before and am confident that I can make a shot like that if I wanted to not saying I will but it's kind of fun to think about I suppose but looking at the ballistic tables it shows maybe 600-800 yards is max for elk any body want to help me out on this

Thank you for the quick reply what is your take on the accubond the reason I ask is cause I haven't shot elk with this bullet yet and I found a good spot this year that shots can range from 100 yards to 1500 yards if I had the right set up

AB is one of the better all around bullets from muzzle to 1K in my opinion. It's hard to beat the 30 cal 200g AB. It is my "hunting" bullet of choice in the 30 cal mags. Never let us down. They're accurate, hit hard, puts 2 holes in animals, has a decent BC. 1500 yards is pushing it with them though in my opinion, I'd limit the range to around 1K to ensure expansion.

Okay guys question.... I am pretty sure I'm over thinking this but I have been told my 300 win mag with a 180gr nos AB moving at 3128 FPS at the muzzle will kill an elk at 1000 yards I have shot this gun to 1000 yards before and am confident that I can make a shot like that if I wanted to not saying I will but it's kind of fun to think about I suppose but looking at the ballistic tables it shows maybe 600-800 yards is max for elk any body want to help me out on this
Elk at 1000 yards with 300 WM = 215 Berger Hybrid!

What about the ones that didn't? Have your recovered a bullet to know it they are mushrooming or not? I've recovered a couple after shooting through deer and elk at 1900 fps impact and the tip was all that was missing, recovered the animal and it was pencil in, tumble and pencil out, dead is dead but the percentage of accubonds opening at 1000 yards from nearly anything you can shoot them out of is minimal!!!

I killed an elk @ 890yds with the 180 NAB from one of my 300RUMs, and for the range, it performed well. However, my altitudes are 8-12,000 ft, so it does act like a higher BC bullet. However, it is not my first choice for the longer shots, this one just happened that day.

Couldnt tell ya about the ones that didnt die or got away, because none have. They all had 2 holes, in and out, and then died within 50 yards of where they were shot. We've only recovered like 2 of the 200g ABs out of about 40 elk, and they were both quartering shots inside 300 yards.

Couldnt tell ya about the ones that didnt die or got away, because none have. They all had 2 holes, in and out, and then died within 50 yards of where they were shot. We've only recovered like 2 of the 200g ABs out of about 40 elk, and they were both quartering shots inside 300 yards.
So you have no idea if the bullets are opening. I will put money on not opening but tumbling which kills the heck out of things BUT you'd be just as good as shooting solids.

Last edited:
Burgers are good I shoot my deer with them but on elk at 100 yards on the shoulder has me abit worried what it come down to is I'm wanting a magical elk bullet that kill well at 20 yards and kill an elk standing across the county I understand that doesn't exist so I guess I'm just peering what others have to say about it maybe some advice on maybe a bullet that's just okay for both

AB is a far better bullet up close than a Berger, and will kill any elk that walks easily from muzzle out to 800, and you dont have to worry about them blowing up on shoulders inside 100 yards or trying to shoot one up the *** running away from you in the timber. Its ultimately up to you, still is no perfect bullet today. I keep a few partitions in my pocket when I know I'll be walking through the brush/timber where theres a chance of busting one out up close. Then I'll slide my ELDMs back in once I get to the open ridges and canyon country. Although most of my hunting is done in very open country with 300+ yard shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts