300 Win Mag and Magpro Powder

Double Dropper

New to the site so this is my first post, been reloading for years and decided to try and improve my loads for my 300 win mag, WW case Fed 215 primer and 180 grain ACCU, rifle is a Remington Stainless W/Boyds Thumbhole laminate. 26" BBL. Been having decent success with RL-22 and 75 grs but I decided I needed a change, just bought/traded for some Un-opened Magpro and noticed on this site some gents were using it with nice results. I talked to Accurate regarding the powder stability from +40 to -30 Celcius and they indicated a 3% change. That seems pretty stable for a double based powder. Anyways gonna give it a go, has anyone else had great results with MagPro? gun)

New to the site so this is my first post, been reloading for years and decided to try and improve my loads for my 300 win mag, WW case Fed 215 primer and 180 grain ACCU, rifle is a Remington Stainless W/Boyds Thumbhole laminate. 26" BBL. Been having decent success with RL-22 and 75 grs but I decided I needed a change, just bought/traded for some Un-opened Magpro and noticed on this site some gents were using it with nice results. I talked to Accurate regarding the powder stability from +40 to -30 Celcius and they indicated a 3% change. That seems pretty stable for a double based powder. Anyways gonna give it a go, has anyone else had great results with MagPro? gun)

So started at 82.5 grains with Winchester Brass F-215 primer and 180 grain accub. This was my starting load! Good thing there was a stiff bolt lift and an extractor groove in the base of the brass!!!!gun) Not good and too hot. I am pulling all loads up to 85.5 grains as this is max in the website recommendations. I will be starting about 77 grains and working up from there. Just a reminder you cant always trust data on line even from the manufacturer.

MagPro is a good powder and I had decent luck with it in my 270 WSM (140 grain accubonds). It's not a widely used powder for 300 WM. I was thinking about using it for my 300 and did a little research (including emailing the manufacturer). I found that it's certainly adequate for that cartridge, but it has a tendency to pressure spike up around max load. Kind of like Retumbo. I was advised by the manufacturer to try Ramshot Magnum instead, which is very similar to MagPro but without the pressure issues when using hot loads. I tried Ramshot Magnum in 2 different guns with the 208 Amax bullets and couldn't get them to group very well. I'm now shooting H1000 with good results.

It's always a roll of the dice trying to find a bullet/powder combo that your gun likes. MagPro could easily work great in your gun with the 180 Accubonds. Since it is a sensitive powder with the pressure spikes I would stay at least 1 grain below where you're seeing pressure signs. Good luck, 300 WM is a great round.

MagPro is a good powder and I had decent luck with it in my 270 WSM (140 grain accubonds). It's not a widely used powder for 300 WM. I was thinking about using it for my 300 and did a little research (including emailing the manufacturer). I found that it's certainly adequate for that cartridge, but it has a tendency to pressure spike up around max load. Kind of like Retumbo. I was advised by the manufacturer to try Ramshot Magnum instead, which is very similar to MagPro but without the pressure issues when using hot loads. I tried Ramshot Magnum in 2 different guns with the 208 Amax bullets and couldn't get them to group very well. I'm now shooting H1000 with good results.

It's always a roll of the dice trying to find a bullet/powder combo that your gun likes. MagPro could easily work great in your gun with the 180 Accubonds. Since it is a sensitive powder with the pressure spikes I would stay at least 1 grain below where you're seeing pressure signs. Good luck, 300 WM is a great round.

If you will, tell me the load you are using for your accuracy load. I would like to load up to an accurate load using H 1000 and 208 A Max bullets. I am just starting out with a new rifle so there is no load for it as of yet. Thanks

I have a 24" Savage FCP .300WM, tried Ramshot Hunter with 175 smk that shows promise at 200 yards. Being 24" I wanted a little faster powder to start with. I have some Ramshot Magnum but not enough to get serious with it. I have ran some numbers on quick load with IMR 7828 sc that looks like it would be worth a try, so probably will go this route seeing how the powder can be found. Also on another note going to try the 208 Amax with it.

I have had good luck with H1000 and H4831SC in 180AB 80grn H1000 and 73 grn SC both with Nosler brass and WLRM primers

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.