300 win mag and 215 berger

jskmtd

I'm helping a friend with finding a load for his Savage LRH and have a question for those of you that have this rifle and shoot the 215 berger. After checking the distance to the lands there is no way to get close to the lands and still use as a repeater. So how far are you guys loading off of the lands with this combination while using as a repeater and how is your rifles grouping.
Thanks for the input.
Jon

If you go to Berger's website, they have detailed directions on finding the most accurate jump.

Personally, in a hunting rifle with a long throat, I load to maximum mag length, load 5 and then load 5 each going in .010" increments to .060" LESS, or max SAAMI length. If none group any better, I try max mag length again and play with powder charges, sometimes you luck out, sometimes you don't.
BTW, not ALL rifles shoot well with bullets close to or into the rifling, even jumps of more than .200" can produce very accurate groups.

Cheers.
lightbulb

The 215 is a hybrid. I have lost count on how many hybrids I have loaded for myself and others.

The approach is very simple: seat bullet to fit and feed from magazine and work up a load.

I don't even bother to measure the distance to the lands anymore. All the rifles I have shot hybrids in have responded without any seating depth changes!

I've found they shoot the best at 30 thou off in my 300WM. 15 thou off in my 300 RUM. As AZShooter said, they are a very forgiving bullet.

Thanks for the input guys. I will try them at mag length which is .185 off the lands. I load the 215 in my 300 win mag at .045 off the lands and get great results.
Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.