.300 win mag ammo

How about anyone shooting non toxic bullets? Just kinda curious if anyone has a good go to for elk..

I used a 308 N Mag I use 165gr Accubond or ballistic tips. Very accurate, and I push them out at 3300fps in a Mauser 98 Action, 26" barrel. I don't have a rifle that set up for all copper bullet yet. I keep my shots under 500yds also. Used in Africa too. It did it job. Shot straight that's what counts.

What weight bullet are you preferring on those hammers for elk NorCal rice guy? Probably out to 600 yardsish I would say

What weight bullet are you preferring on those hammers for elk NorCal rice guy? Probably out to 600 yardsish I would say
179 gr. ABSOLUTE HAMMERS for my BERGARA Ridge 300WM and 155 gr. ABSOLUTE HAMMERS in my Savage AXIS II .280 AI. 140 gr. Heavy Hammers in my Savage 110C 280 AI. I can't shoot the Absolute Hammers in my 110C because of its 1:10 twist barrel. My AXIS II has a 1:8 twist so it can handle them.

I'm considering going on a elk this coming year and was wondering about some good choices on which ammo to use. I've heard phenomenal things about the Nosler accubonds and partitions. Any input would be appreciated. As well I would be shooting at no more than 500 yards.
Thanks
I didn't read all of the other posts, Im sure there have been some great suggestions. I have some first hand experience with the 300 WM and witnessing what factory loads do on elk. The 180gr Barnes TTSX performed great, we recovered the bullet and it performed as designed on a 250 yd shot. I also watched the 185gr Berger Classic Hunters do their thing at 150 yds. The elk was shot twice and only pieces of the bullets were found. The TTSX are always a sound choice for elk. I had a 300 WSM shooting 180gr accubond reloads at 2950. That bullet has a sound design behind it. I killed my bull this year at 325yds using a 168gr Berger Classic Hunter (7mm). After seeing the weight retention of the Bergers Id say for game smaller than elk I would use them in a heartbeat. For elk size game and larger Id go with a bonded bullet or mono. Thats not to say Bergers won't work. Just in the event you have a closer shot, I think the high impact velocity can cause the bullet to basically explode on impact. A Partition is never a bad choice either.

180gr TTSX 300 WM

185gr Berger Classic Hunter

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts