.300 win mag ammo

BT_1224

I'm considering going on a elk this coming year and was wondering about some good choices on which ammo to use. I've heard phenomenal things about the Nosler accubonds and partitions. Any input would be appreciated. As well I would be shooting at no more than 500 yards.
Thanks

I have used the Horandy SST bullet in 180 grain capacity and have had success not only in .300 Win Mag but also 30-06 & .308 caliber.
I've found that because of it's aerodynamic boat tail shape as well as a BC of .480 it holds together well with proper expansion and not over penetration , additionally it shoots true.
Yes, it is not the most expensive bullet out there but to me it has proven itself, and that's all that matters!
I have taken Moose, Elk and Whitetail deer with this bullet of course using different chambered firearms all in the 30 caliber range and it has always been a performer for me.
I have considered moving up to the 200 grain Hornady ELDX that has a BC of .626 but have as yet not found the need to perform load development on this bullet ( Please note that I have stated not yet, but perhaps in the future)
In fairness I've also used the Barnes180 grain TSX with favorable results.
You will get as many different opinion's on this matter as there are flavors of ice-cream.
In the end "To Each His Own"

Last edited:

Attachments

• 55CBC213-3B2C-48C7-91B1-F1B0F5EC691A.jpeg
    55CBC213-3B2C-48C7-91B1-F1B0F5EC691A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I shot my elk with the 200 grain Terminal Ascent from a 300 WM and 3 deer with 175 grain Terminal Ascent from a 30-06.

Also, I'm just shooting the factory loads.

I would love to see what guys who handload could do with the 200 grain TAs in 300WM. I would imagine loading a longer COAL and running higher pressures would get that bullet moving much faster than the factory loads.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.