300 Win Mag advice needed

I ve had poor results with the eld x in 2 out of 3 calibers. 6mm shot sub moa, 6.5mm and 7mm shot poorly. No experience with 30 cal X s.

Eldm s have all shot well in same calibers across multiple cartridges. Might try a known easy to tune bullet with that H4831 and see what happens ….. guessing your accuracy will be back.
Went to a mile range to shoot a steel life size buffalo. Other steel targets set 450-1285. The range master says he has seen too many ELD-X bullets under perform. He did comment he liked the ELDM and of course the Bergers.

Hey all, I am having a bit of a load development struggle.
I am running a Remington 700 Sendero 300 Win Mag 1:10 twist, I HAD this rifle dialed in with 178 grain ELD-Xs w/ 72 grains of H3841sc, WLRM primer (1/2MOA all day). I am unable to source those bullets and have been looking for them for way too long, so I decided to switch to 200 grain ELD-xs with regular H4831 because this is what I could get my hands on.

The issue: I can NOT get this combo to shoot decent groups, ran through the powder ladder, found my node. Groups were sub par and well over MOA, ES was terrible as well, 50+ during seating depth testing. Obviously there was no good groups to be had during the seating depth test and the ES sucked also.

Ammo: Loaded on an Area 419 Zero Press, tight tight tolerances, 3x fired brass, cleaned, AMP annealed, FL Sized with no stem in it, Ran in LE Wilson Mandrel, powders weight down to .02 accuracy with A&D. I have gone as far as I can to make my ammo as precise as possible without going insanse.

Possibilities:

Barrel Burnt Out? - Rifle has 4-500 rounds through it. 500 is a stretch, realistically we are in the very low 400s at best but I don't have them logged as I never kept track of these loads until I became more data driven and have had this rifle for years. I will have this rifle bore scoped this coming week, though I HIGHLY doubt it is shot out.

H4831 is the wrong powder for a 200 grain ELD-X? Go H1000? I have heard that 4831 is problematic at 200 grains and up bullets, anyone have advice or experience with this?

Barrel doesn't like the bullets? Not well versed enough in reloading to make this claim myself, I "hear" that a good rifle will shoot any bullet good, and some bullets really well.

What am I missing?

Do I switch bullets or powder? I don't have it in me to give up and just build another rifle so at this moment, that is not an option.
Have a 1-10 300 WM and it did not like the 208 ELD's, Does like 200 g-kings really good. As far as bullets available you might try 175 Sierra HPBT M-King. Gaff and Midway both have them, Word of caution the Sierra site shows they are discontinued so you might what to buy a couple of boxes. In my rifle with H4831 and 175 HPBT at about 3200fps it is really accurate and good out to as far as you want to shoot. DISCLAIMER: Of course any information I gave is not to be construed as any type of guarantee to your success.

I am running a Remington 700 Sendero 300 Win Mag 1:10 twist, I HAD this rifle dialed in with 178 grain ELD-Xs w/ 72 grains of H3841sc, WLRM primer (1/2MOA all day). I am unable to source those bullets and have been looking for them for way too long, so I decided to switch to 200 grain ELD-xs with regular H4831 because this is what I could get my hands on.

The issue: I can NOT get this combo to shoot decent groups, ran through the powder ladder, found my node. Groups were sub par and well over MOA, ES was terrible as well, 50+ during seating depth testing. Obviously there was no good groups to be had during the seating depth test and the ES sucked also.

Ammo: Loaded on an Area 419 Zero Press, tight tight tolerances, 3x fired brass, cleaned, AMP annealed, FL Sized with no stem in it, Ran in LE Wilson Mandrel, powders weight down to .02 accuracy with A&D. I have gone as far as I can to make my ammo as precise as possible without going insanse.

Possibilities:

Barrel Burnt Out? - Rifle has 4-500 rounds through it. 500 is a stretch, realistically we are in the very low 400s at best but I don't have them logged as I never kept track of these loads until I became more data driven and have had this rifle for years. I will have this rifle bore scoped this coming week, though I HIGHLY doubt it is shot out.

H4831 is the wrong powder for a 200 grain ELD-X? Go H1000? I have heard that 4831 is problematic at 200 grains and up bullets, anyone have advice or experience with this?

Barrel doesn't like the bullets? Not well versed enough in reloading to make this claim myself, I "hear" that a good rifle will shoot any bullet good, and some bullets really well.

What am I missing?

Do I switch bullets or powder? I don't have it in me to give up and just build another rifle so at this moment, that is not an option.

Possibilities:

What am I missing?

You could try H4350, IMR4350, or H1000....all three are good for what you are shooting...

Possibilities:

What am I missing?

The H 1000 maybe the cure i shoot the 208 grain ELD M with 77 +- charge, under 1/2" From rem 700 in a 26" barrel. Great results for years.

I have identical rifle and never could get the 200ELDX to shoot well. Shoots 200AB extremely well with RL22 and RL26. Also shoots 196HH extremely well at 3150fps so is my go to load now. This barrel has over 1,000 rounds on it as well. Lower bullet weights like the 180AB shot great too. IMR4831 is great powder to consider as well for both 200 gr or 180 gr.
Edit added: when the 200ELDX first came out stated 1:9 twist but that was changed. Seems like it was true for me.

Last edited:
BIG thanks to all who have taken the time to advise. The LRH community is second to none.

I have a plan now and will be dropping my bullet weights to 168-178 as I believe my barrel won't shoot these 200 ELDs. Though I will try them one more time with H1000. May try a slightly heavier bullet as well, 208 etc. My plan now is to try Hornady A Tip Match at 17X grains and a Berger in that ball park as well.

BIG thanks to all who have taken the time to advise. The LRH community is second to none.

I have a plan now and will be dropping my bullet weights to 168-178 as I believe my barrel won't shoot these 200 ELDs. Though I will try them one more time with H1000. May try a slightly heavier bullet as well, 208 etc. My plan now is to try Hornady A Tip Match at 17X grains and a Berger in that ball park as well.
I load the 212s and 208s for 6 of us. The results have been excellent...good idea

Yes. I only shoot deer in MN with barnes 150 tsx in my 30-06. They work great for it because shots are under 200 yds and they do a lot of damage without blowing up like a lot of lead bullets do.
Up until recently all of my hunting ammo has been loaded with Nosler Partitions in either 165 or 180 gr. Once out of the barrel and about 50 yards down range most of the bullets stay inside the deer dissipating the energy within, with devastating results for the deer. .30 cal entry hole, no exit hole so no meat loss due to being blown out the opposite side. The wound channel shows the expansion and shocking power. Most of the deer dropped in place which is handy since they are shot across open fields and one can drive up to them rather than having to drag them through the woods.

Went to a mile range to shoot a steel life size buffalo. Other steel targets set 450-1285. The range master says he has seen too many ELD-X bullets under perform. He did comment he liked the ELDM and of course the Bergers.
Don't want to D rail this thread but how did you do on the Buffalo?

Change your primers if you have others available. My 300 WM absolutely hates WLRM. ES & SD all over the place with them, best results are 210M Federal. Peterson long brass should help also.