300 win mag 185 berger

coastbuck

Hello I just recently did some load work with the 185 berger vld hunting and h4831. I ran the charge at 73 grains with CCI 250 primer. I did a whole bunch of seating depth test. And that's were my problem starts. Coal of 3.565 I could feel the bolt had Lil bit of tension but I could shut it if I wanted with out to much force. So I went 5 thousands deeper and bolt closed fine with no force.

So my question is at 3.565 do u think I'm still a few thousands in the lands or just starting to touch them. I used 3.560 as my starting number to the lands and went .10 .25 .40 .60 .90 and .130 thousands jump and . 40 showed a awesome group. If I wasn't new to this I would try to load a pic from my phone. Anyways just looking for someones opinion that has more experience than me which wouldn't take much lol. First time loading this caliber and the bergers.

Oh forgot gun is stock Remington 700 long range. Turn out to be a real good shooter if there's any body wanting to know.

Hello I just recently did some load work with the 185 berger vld hunting and h4831. I ran the charge at 73 grains with CCI 250 primer. I did a whole bunch of seating depth test. And that's were my problem starts. Coal of 3.565 I could feel the bolt had Lil bit of tension but I could shut it if I wanted with out to much force. So I went 5 thousands deeper and bolt closed fine with no force.

So my question is at 3.565 do u think I'm still a few thousands in the lands or just starting to touch them. I used 3.560 as my starting number to the lands and went .10 .25 .40 .60 .90 and .130 thousands jump and . 40 showed a awesome group. If I wasn't new to this I would try to load a pic from my phone. Anyways just looking for someones opinion that has more experience than me which wouldn't take much lol. First time loading this caliber and the bergers.

Oh forgot gun is stock Remington 700 long range. Turn out to be a real good shooter if there's any body wanting to know.

You could still be in the lands at 3.565. You really should pull the firing pin to get a true feel for the resistance. Pull the firing pin and seat the bullet to where you know it will hit the lands. Then seat the bullet deeper until there is no resistance to close the bolt and there is no "pop" at the top of the bolt lift. This is your "to the lands" measurement. Next polish the bullet with steel wool to remove all existing marks and chamber it again a few times looking for rifling marks around the circumference of the bullet. You will normally see slight drag marks on one side of the bullet due to the ejector pushing against the cartridge base while you pull the bolt to the rear, disregard them and look for marks indicating rifling contact.

If you're getting good groups at a seating depth from your measured point, run it. The true measurement is unnecessary if you're getting the results you're looking for.

Thanks brentc I'll give it a try. How far could you actually seat a bullet into the lands? Like I said I've never done this type of reloading. the 10 thousands off had no resistances closing the bolt and didn't show signs of over pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_20150327_162445787.jpg
    IMG_20150327_162445787.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 308
Thanks brentc I'll give it a try. How far could you actually seat a bullet into the lands? Like I said I've never done this type of reloading. the 10 thousands off had no resistances closing the bolt and didn't show signs of over pressure.

You'll be able to close the bolt fairly easily as far as .025 into the lands.

OK I will do that. Hope it wasn't a fluke. I was just asking about seating depth of the lands because I don't want my bullet in them. With all the info I've gave you so far is it safe to say that I'm not in the lands? Just worried about doing damage. Just getting into all this and I'm not up to par with chamber designs and what pressure they will hold so on and so forth. I just want to make sure I'm not doing damage to my rifle.

OK I will do that. Hope it wasn't a fluke. I was just asking about seating depth of the lands because I don't want my bullet in them. With all the info I've gave you so far is it safe to say that I'm not in the lands? Just worried about doing damage. Just getting into all this and I'm not up to par with chamber designs and what pressure they will hold so on and so forth. I just want to make sure I'm not doing damage to my rifle.

I doubt you're in the lands with what you measured to be .040" off. No damage other than normal wear and tear will occur.

Well I loaded 6 more of my measurement of .040 off the lands and shot two groups. I forgot my rear bag and people were riding around 4 wheelers in my normal spot. But any who I didn't shoot very good at all. Windy and one of those days where it feels like you can't ever settle in right. But the group measured out at just about a inch at 200. Do u think I should test some out at same seating depth due to my bad performance or try something else? That first target I posted was only at 100 yards and it was .3 moa.

A legitimate 1" group at 200 yards in those conditions is pretty good. Take it out further without changing anything for trajectory validation and call it good.

Thanks again bentrc. I'm gonna load up 14 more and check group once more and start shooting some distance. I only have a cheap leupold right now so I'm just shooting off mil-dots for my drops. Before I had it set up so I was flat to 300 yards. First mil 400 2nd 500 and 600. I have shot this rifle out to 700 yards, but the scope situation is really holding me back.

Also do you think I should try to chase some more velocity?. I don't have a crono or a dial scope veryify by drop but at 73 grains of h4831 I'm not seeing any pressure. Primers look good don't appear flat or crater and no ejector marks.

My only problem is that I bought a box of 100. And bergers pretty much don't exists here and powder for that fact also, like I'm sure your all experiencing as well. Just trying to make the most of what I have, tell I get a chance to go inland and shop a lil bit. Coast range Oregon sucks for supplies but good hunting lol

Last edited:
Well, if it were me, and I was happy with the accuracy, I wouldn't screw with it for a hundred fps...remember, "only accurate rifles are interesting."

Well, if it were me, and I was happy with the accuracy, I wouldn't screw with it for a hundred fps...remember, "only accurate rifles are interesting."[/QU

Good call lol I was pretty jazzed about my first group. Just got all of my brass resized gonna test again and if all is good all have 60 RDS left of premium ammo. Thanks for the insight always chasing the speed and forget that accuracy is the key.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.