300 whizzum- SAAMI length R17 results with 208 amax

minute of elk

got lucky on a trade for a Tikka t3 stainless 300 WSM this weekend! it's just perfect for a superlight hiking rifle.

wait!- before you recommend the search bar in the upper right corner- i've read at least 50 threads thanks to our beloved search function, but i'm lookin for a few more details to save time/powder.

for you guys running your 300 WSM's at longer than SAAMI lengths (and especially those of you with Tikkas), what kind of data can you share concerning COAL's, charges, & associated pressures? i'm not trying for any specific muzzle velocity- accuracy is more important. having said that, though, i wouldn't mind shooting out this barrel quickly so i can put a benchmark with a DRW soft brake on it...

my chamber measures at 3.090" to the lands, and i've already jimmied the bolt stop & mag lips on a long magazine to make it feed longer loads.

i plan to run some loads with 178 amax's & R-17 at SAAMI specs to make sure the rifle doesn't have any basic issues. that's not taking up any space on my brain's hard drive at the moment, though- ELK! are.

but! (there's always a but) if'n y'all feel like sharing your COAL's & charges with me (kinda like Shane did with his 208 amax & R-17 in a 308 thread), i stand a much better chance of having the load development & dope done by the 26th. ELK!

my other ELK! rifle options weigh 13-15 lbs- and i've recently had to have both knees warrantied! get my drift?

3.090" is my chamber's max COAL, but i'm a fan of .015" jumps- it ain't a benchrest gun, it's a truck/pack gun!

i'm lookin to get a good node with 208 amax's & R17 or H4831sc. i have 2 batches of ~50 win brass- 46 @ 226-227 grains & 56 @ 228-229 grains (i'm not married to it, but it's what i got). i'm running br2's for spark.

i'd also welcome any donations of 215 or 230 hybrids (Jeff) :D

Re: 300 whizzum- lookin for long COAL details

Yeah, never mind- it shoots like this with 208's at SAAMI length. I'm not inspired to change a thing

17FF05B1_zpsb9828842.jpg

Re: 300 whizzum- lookin for long COAL details

Details-
Virgin Winchester brass untrimmed, mouth chamfered in & out
64.5 grains R17 through a drop tube
2.855" COAL
Br2's for spark

No chrono- it was a mob scene out there today

I didn't bump the shoulders much at all- wanted them to tight for the first firing. I'll bump them 20 thousandths for their second load. I think I'm real close to full capacity in the virgin brass at 64.5 in the cases- I suspect they won't look as full on the second firing. I didn't hear or feel any crunching, but the powder was right up to the shoulder/neck junction.
No obvious pressure signs- primers show the slightest hint of flattening- more like widening- cups edges are nice & rounded. No craters or ejector marks anywhere. I think I'm at the low end of that R17 sweet spot where another 1/2 grain would open up 1/4" & leave some shiny ejector marks & maybe ding a primer up, and a full grain would blow primers out. The groups leading up to this one showed what I've come to expect from R17. They started out around 1 1/2", and tightened up by 1/4" every 1/2 grain. I'm liking R17 more & more.
It was a lovely 45 degrees at Logan this morning, so as long as I don't drop out of this node at 10 degrees, I'm set. I'll go ahead & load a consistency check at this charge weight & dope it for now. I'm sure I'll get a chance to check in cold weather soon ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure Logan is getting crazy now. Been a while since I was there. When Glen gets my rifles put back together, I'll be heading that way.

I used Norma brass, 215's and 67 gr of RL17 to push 210 Bergers to 2930 fps. Don't recall the COAL but it was just off the lands. The Norma cases were not quite full.

Funny thing is my max charge under 180 E-Tips was 67.5 gr and working up with the 210's, I did not see any pressure signs event o 67. I decided to stop there because I figured I was real close.

Don't ask about accuracy. That rifle won't shoot anything well. A SAKO M85 Finnlight, and cousin to your T3. It's going to be a future project for Glen to rebarrel to I think a 6mm SAUM.

Looks like you got'r dialed in. What range was that group?

RL-17 and the 300WSM make a great combination even with the heaviest bullets.

My friend asked me to make a LR load for his 300 WSM Browning A-bolt with boss. I had some 230 Gr Bergers on hand and gave them a try with RL-17. The load amazed me especially when you consider I had to work with a magazine that is 2.8" long. Velocity was 2720 fps and quite accurate out to 550 yds.

We joke and say the bullet is sitting on the primer:

MR (Mark, right?) this is just 100 yards- but I'm happy with it. With a 7.5# rifle, I'll be thinking twice before trying any long shots. I'll dope it out to as far as I can consistently drive it & then take it up into the Madisons to chase elk. My usual shots on elk up there are under 100, with occasional pokes out to 400. We'll see....

AZ- that's a crazy lookin load- thankfully I can rock a long COAL if I ever find any big Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts