300 Wheeler

Rhovee

Alex Wheeler and myself have done quite a few projects over the years. I had the first 300 Norma improved barrel for testing/shooting. While it's a great case, there is not many good action choices for the Lapua sized cases. The other down fall, is not many re-barrel choices out there. We set out to find what would be the max case you can run with a magnum action, and still be able to feed in a CFE-9 (4") BDL.

The 404 Jeffery is a very accurate parent case. Think RUM, SAUM,WSM ETC. The 300 RUM is one bad dude! Only issue that I have is the case is to long for the 230 Bergers to fit in the neck. The 338 RUM is .094" shorter than a 300 RUM. I took a 338 RUM case, (109.6 GR VOLUME) necked it down, and could seat a 230 in the neck with .050 above the dreaded doughnut. This put the case at 3.950. This freebore will also work well with 210VLD and 199 Hammer Hunters.

Necking down the brass is very easy. I purchased a Hornady ($32) .308 neck sizing die. Sized the necks, then ran an expander mandrel though to set my .002 Neck tension. For the dies, I took a 300 RUM die, cut .095" off and it sizes the web like a custom die should! No custom dies is a plus!

Next I loaded up some 230's with H1000. After about 40 rounds, I started load development. Out of the gate I could tell this combo would work. 89.5-90.5 all had same POI at 300 yards. I took the gun to 300 for some grouping. 89.5 grains has produced 1.2"-.75" groups multiple times. This load has an ES of 9 FPS across 12 shots on different days. With a 26" barrel the 230's are 2 grains below max, and are going 3040 FPS.

I am REALLY liking this cartridge. It feeds great out of my BAT HR, Loves H1000, ADG Brass. IMO this is the best option for guys wanting 300 NMI speeds out of standard magnum actions. Once you fight doughnuts and seating the bullet below neck shoulder junction, you won't want to do it again..

Attachments

• IMG_6750.jpeg
    IMG_6750.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_6751.jpeg
    IMG_6751.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 172
Alex Wheeler and myself have done quite a few projects over the years. I had the first 300 Norma improved barrel for testing/shooting. While it's a great case, there is not many good action choices for the Lapua sized cases. The other down fall, is not many re-barrel choices out there. We set out to find what would be the max case you can run with a magnum action, and still be able to feed in a CFE-9 (4") BDL.

The 404 Jeffery is a very accurate parent case. Think RUM, SAUM,WSM ETC. The 300 RUM is one bad dude! Only issue that I have is the case is to long for the 230 Bergers to fit in the neck. The 338 RUM is .094" shorter than a 300 RUM. I took a 338 RUM case, (109.6 GR VOLUME) necked it down, and could seat a 230 in the neck with .050 above the dreaded doughnut. This put the case at 3.950. This freebore will also work well with 210VLD and 199 Hammer Hunters.

Necking down the brass is very easy. I purchased a Hornady ($32) .308 neck sizing die. Sized the necks, then ran an expander mandrel though to set my .002 Neck tension. For the dies, I took a 300 RUM die, cut .095" off and it sizes the web like a custom die should! No custom dies is a plus!

Next I loaded up some 230's with H1000. After about 40 rounds, I started load development. Out of the gate I could tell this combo would work. 89.5-90.5 all had same POI at 300 yards. I took the gun to 300 for some grouping. 89.5 grains has produced 1.2"-.75" groups multiple times. This load has an ES of 9 FPS across 12 shots on different days. With a 26" barrel the 230's are 2 grains below max, and are going 3040 FPS.

I am REALLY liking this cartridge. It feeds great out of my BAT HR, Loves H1000, ADG Brass. IMO this is the best option for guys wanting 300 NMI speeds out of standard magnum actions. Once you fight doughnuts and seating the bullet below neck shoulder junction, you won't want to do it again..
Excellent work and cool cartridge! đź‘Ť

I did not. The case already has about .0010 per inch. I didn't think the gain would be worth getting custom dies made. 109.5 Grains of volume is plenty with 30 cal for me. I know there is another node with N570 around 3100. But if your barrel likes H1000, it usually shoots to good to pass up. I haven't got many big 30's to shoot 3/4" at 300.

What did you use for a reamer? Sounds like you could use a 300 rum reamer and run it in .094 short and then throater to get oal?

What did you use for a reamer? Sounds like you could use a 300 rum reamer and run it in .094 short and then throater to get oal?
You'd be tight at the web dimensions in chamber and clickers would pop up early in development and you'd like yield low velocity. Ryan's chamber is specd a bit oversize at web dimensions to prevent clickers. Taking the 300rum die and removing 0.092 actually makes it size more at the base of 338 rum brass than a regular 338 rum die will.

Kris (highdrum) is correct. Min SAMMI is .551 on the .200 line for the RUM family. If you held the reamer .094 shorter, you would end up about .5495-.550. I have had some MIN SAMMI chambers with clicker issues. Mostly due to die's not sizing enough, and tough brass. I went .001 larger at the base to help prevent clickers and allow the factory dies that are cut .094 to work properly. My (3rd) fired cases are coming out at .5495-.550. Sized brass is coming in at .5475 of the .200 line. So we are getting .002-.0025 sizing at the web which is perfect. I have gone up to 91.5 grains H1000 and 230's with no signs of pressure. Being 2 grains under that for accuracy is great. Brass will last a long time and H1000 is great on barrels.

Kris (highdrum) is correct. Min SAMMI is .551 on the .200 line for the RUM family. If you held the reamer .094 shorter, you would end up about .5495-.550. I have had some MIN SAMMI chambers with clicker issues. Mostly due to die's not sizing enough, and tough brass. I went .001 larger at the base to help prevent clickers and allow the factory dies that are cut .094 to work properly. My (3rd) fired cases are coming out at .5495-.550. Sized brass is coming in at .5475 of the .200 line. So we are getting .002-.0025 sizing at the web which is perfect. I have gone up to 91.5 grains H1000 and 230's with no signs of pressure. Being 2 grains under that for accuracy is great. Brass will last a long time and H1000 is great on barrels.
Do you all have any designs on trying the 245 Berger, if so do you believe you can get it to also be a repeater in the BAT actions with the CFE-9 (4") BDL properly seated or will it be too long?

Liddy

It would be to long. I have a few 245's I can give some measurements on. I have shot them in other rifles. Quite a bit more recoil for the gain. If it wasn't a hunting rifle and weighed a lot more I would do it.

I will say that I own the reamers and Alex has it. If someone wants to try one out, you can use it. But reamer isn't leaving his shop.

I will say that I own the reamers and Alex has it. If someone wants to try one out, you can use it. But reamer isn't leaving his shop.
Interesting for sure. Do you have any idea what the current lead time is on a BAT Vampire action or if Mr. Wheeler carries them?

Liddy