I am shooting a 24 inch barreled Sako used to shoot Barnes 180 grainers. With the 180 TTSX and RL 19 I was getting 3240. Switching to 212 ELDX with the max Retumbo load out of the Noasler manual I got 3006fps. How ever that load was not accurate enough for me and I am going to try N570.

I am shooting a 24 inch barreled Sako used to shoot Barnes 180 grainers. With the 180 TTSX and RL 19 I was getting 3240. Switching to 212 ELDX with the max Retumbo load out of the Noasler manual I got 3006fps. How ever that load was not accurate enough for me and I am going to try N570.
I haven't reloaded for 300 weatherby yet. It just came in but the 208 gr eld has shot good out of a 300 win mag & 300 Norma for me. It has been the least finicky of everything I have tried: 215 Bergers, 225 elds, 230 Berger's. 200 gr eldx was the worst of the lot.

I have everything to start reloading mine, I even bought a chronograph. I am going to run Weatherby/Norma brass, Fed 215M primers, Berger 200.20x and I have 7828ssc and H1000 for powder also have some RL25 for my dads 7mmRM and may load some of that up.

I might be wrong but I think that weatherby & nosler brass is made by Norma. I checked capacity on my nosler brass & come up with 97.1 grains h2o full to the mouth.

I have everything to start reloading mine, I even bought a chronograph. I am going to run Weatherby/Norma brass, Fed 215M primers, Berger 200.20x and I have 7828ssc and H1000 for powder also have some RL25 for my dads 7mmRM and may load some of that up.
I don't know what kind of chronograph you have. I have a prochrono and assume it's about like most standard chronographs, no better no worse. It's good to have for knowing when you get into velocity nodes but just remember they can have some error. Mine has some error especially as it gets late into the evening. I'm just saying that so you don't chase your tail too much due to having some error. 1% error in these are not uncommon. I deal with it cause I don't want to spend the cash & set up time on a labradar. I don't care to mess around with strapping a magneto speed on my barrel either.

I am in same boat, bought a Caldwell chronograph off the classifieds here! I am interested in my speed but like u don't want to drop that much money in one at this point, I am working on building a rifle and getting all the things I want for reloading, this site has been amazing for me! And picking up second hand items have been a nice lil cost saver! I have been working on my reloading stuff for about 14months now, my problem has been powder.....would like to see some N570 or even some RL33

Last edited:
I might be wrong but I think that weatherby & nosler brass is made by Norma. I checked capacity on my nosler brass & come up with 97.1 grains h2o full to the mouth.

I don't think Nosler brass is made by Norma . I read somewhere that Nosler bought SSA , silver state armory . I'd assume that SSA is the brass maker .

I don't think Nosler brass is made by Norma . I read somewhere that Nosler bought SSA , silver state armory . I'd assume that SSA is the brass maker .
That may be true. I know that the .223 brass is SSA for sure. I know at one time Norma did make brass for nosler but they may not make it for them anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts