300 weatherby vs 300 remington ultra mag

John,

Less volume off the extractor groove too.

Water leaves no voids in the internal volume comparison test, and knowing the cases are all well formed to the chamber on the outside, this leaves but one place for the additional brass to be on the heavy ones IMO.

One could verify this submersing them in liquid and measuring displacement, but internal volume is all I'm concerned with.

Brass has a higher specific gravity or is denser than water.

4 grs of brass takes up less chamber volume than 4 grs of water. This is one reason for the discrepancy in case weight vs. case volume.

Hey I have a keeper,Rem 700 sporter weight in 300 RUM.180 gr nosler gold partion in front of 97.5 H1000 gives me 3367FPS and 7/8" 5 shot 100 yds .Vias muzzel Brake,sounds like atom bomb.BBL very hot after just three rnds.But who cares!!! Long live the 300 RUM.With out muzzel brake recoil is a nightmear!!! With brake 6or 7 rnds in a half hour is about all I can take.Might sale it for right price!!!

I can't agree with the 300 Ultra-Mag reccomendation over the 300 Wby at all. The 300 Wby will outshoot the Untramag any day of the week. I have a 300 Wby, and a friend of mine has a 300 Ultramag while yet another friend has a 300 Win mag. We all go out to shoot at a range north of Byers Colorado which goes all the way out to 1000 yards. My best 3 shot group with the 300 Wby at 100 yards is 1/2" and is always under 1 ". The best group I ever shot at 300 yards was 1 1/2". I think that this shows the potential of the gun. Yes the cost of the rifle and shells is high but worth it if you want the best in performance. One problenm with the Remington UM is a lack of bullet choice. The last I looked the only shells you could get were Remington brand (a 150, and 2x 180s Core Lokt and now a Boat tail (match). The UM bullets are harder to find than the Wby to date. I just checked again and they have added another 150 and 2 more 180s but the Wby still has a better selection as they load Hornady, Nosler and Barnes bullets. Just like with any gun you have to find a bullet that shoots well on your gun. I found that the Wby doesn't seem to care which bullets I use. Its very forgiving with bullet type, and barrel temperature. I have seen a lot of guns with a 2" difference between a cold barrel shot and the next 2 bullets. Not with the Weatherby. Its very consistent. The Weatherby uses a Kreiger button rifled barrel which is a good barrel. You get what you pay for. Weatherby guarantees out of the box an 1-1/2" or better group at 100 yards or you send it back in. There aren't any Ultramag guarantees like that. So on to the head to head comparison. I can completely outshoot the Ultramag with the Wby from a benchrest at 100 yds. I have done it in person at the range. I should probably shoot the Ultramag at longer ranges but if it can't shoot 1-1/2" at 100 yards its not gonna do it at 300 yds. Now the problem with the comparison was that I shoot Noslers and the UM was shooting Remington Core Lokts. The UM needs a better bullet for a real comparison. There may be better rounds for the UM coming out that will tighten up the race, But right now the Wby is years ahead of the UM. The head space issue has been debated forever. the Wby doesn't suffer accuracy problems because of extra headspace. The Wby has to have the extra headspace because of the high pressures generated. The 9 lug Wby bolt is the strongest in the industry. It has to be because of the high pressures generated by the ammunition. The bottom line is that the UM was created to compete with the Wby and Remington did meet the velocity specs. However, the Wby rifles are of higher quality than the Remingtons. Remington is going to have to put better barrels on their guns to compete with Wby thus raising the cost. The bottom line is that Wby has a guarantee on accuracy which tells you what you need to know.

End of Rant.

I completely disagree with the .300 weatherby being better than the .300 RUM. Yah yah, accuracy guarantee so what? Who really needs one? I have a Remington LSS .300 RUM and it will outshoot your weatherby as you described. I have shot 3 shot groups at 800 yards of 3.5" and 4" with the 150g CT B-tip and 1.5" 3 shot group at 525 yards with the 200g Accubond. Both are handloaded by me. I dont shoot groups at close range as it defeats my purpose of a LR gun. Who needs a Weatherby when you can have a .300 RUM? Not meant to start a ****ing match here, but your knocking the RUM, I'm knocking the Weatherby. I'm smart enough to know that 1 observation doesn't mean its an average. Bottom line is finding a good load that will shoot. In my opinion though, the RUM is on top of the Weatherby.

Wow, where do you start.

It's not a headspace problem, its a matter of freebore.

Most people in this neck of the woods reload making bullet choice a moot subject. Some Weatherbys have a problem grouping boattail based bullets.

A 1 1/2" group guarantees is a joke. I've seen quite a few ultras cut that group in half, with a factory barrel.

You have a Krieger Criterion barrel, not their flagship cut rifled barrel. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Hate to burst your bubble, the Weatherby action isn't stronger than the Remington. Try to get all 9 of those lugs bearing at the same time.

I had a Weatherby and a Ultra, still have the Ultra. Best thing about the Weatherby was it"s trade-in value.
grin.gif

[ 04-26-2004: Message edited by: AJ300MAG ]

I think the ultra's one big problem is recoil. I can stand the recoil of the weatherby without a brake, but the ultra was just a bit too much.

Of the mark a little, but! I puchased a Rem. Classic in 300Wth. ...If you bed the action , the first 2 inches after the locking lug and put a 2inch bed 2 inches down from the for end...The rifle will shoot 3/8ths at a 100, 2 shots...Factory 150gr. Weth...Hell on deer!

I agree that the 1-1/2" gaurantee is a joke because the Wby's can do that anyday. So why does Wby do it and Remington doesn't. Maybe quality control problems ? Do a search for Remington quality problems. Its not pretty.

As far as remingtonmans comments go, don't we all know that you can work up a hand load thats more accurate than factory loads ? I saw a stock vs stock comparison not a stock Wby vs a RUM handload. How well so you think the Wby with a handloaded 200 grain Accubond will do ? What are your other mods to your Remington to get it to shoot ? My Wby is stock with no mods and it shoots well. I have read and re-read the headspace issue starting with this site. If the gun shoots well - who cares ?

You are smart enough to know that 1 observation doesn't mean its an average. ? So what are you basing your conclusions on ? Statistically speaking, we don't have enough data to make a strong conclusion so all I can go on is what I have seen.

FYI I have Remington rifles and they are ok but not worth bragging about. I have a friend with a Rem 700 in 300 Win mag and its got a bedding problem (at least thats what I think it is) If you make sure the barrel is cold between shots, the groups are good. But a quick 2nd shot hits 2 inches higher at 100 yards. Anybody have advice on this problem. My Wby doesn't do this.

Im not on here to start a ****ing contest either just trying to learn something new and enjoy the shooting sport. The only reason I wrote on here is because the guy who asked the question wasn't getting any positive feedback on the Wby which is a good gun in my experience. Its like the Ford vs Chevy debate - nobody is going to change their mind.

Kid, I've seen three different 700BDL's shoot under 3/4MOA at 300 yards with factory 180gr Partitions. As far as quality problems, I've bought a few rem rifles (more than I'd care to admit in case my wife is reading this
grin.gif
) recently. None show any of the quality issues that have been discussed. Look at the number of rifles being produced by either company. You might be surprised at the statistics on a percentage basis. For the money, the remington is of better value. Same bullet, same speed, ya think the animal will know the difference which rifle was used. Spend the money you saved buying the rem and put it into first class optics.

My rifle is completely stock except for trigger work down to 2 3/4 lbs. Not even a muzzle brake. I'm 18, 6'2 and 140 lbs. I did my research on the 300 RUM before I went out and bought one. Main thing to me was recoil. The most I was use to was my .300 Win Mag. That was about my upper limit. I opted to go for the laminated version to help soak up the recoil of the 300 RUM. I can sit down at the bench and shoot 20 rounds in an orderly fasion with no more than a sweatshirt with no problem. The 2nd concern was accuracy. I read a lot on accuracy about the cartridge and I could not believe the groups people were getting with such a hard kicking gun. I also own a .222 Rem in an older 700 ADL. With my pet loads, it has shot in the .1's at 100 yards many upon many of times. I bought the gun used from an older guy who gave up varminting. Only thing I did was clean the barrel real good and give it a trigger job down to 2lbs and thats that. I use to be a Ruger fan personally, untill I got my hands on my 2 Remingtons. Nothing shoots better in my house than these Remingtons. My uncle has several Rem 700's in 30-06 and 300 Win Mags. I load for one of the 300 WM's and it shoots the 180g b-tip into 1/2"-3/4" at 3150fps. Every Remington I have shot and loaded for did under 1 inch easily at 100 yards with very very little load developing. With this kind of performance from all the Remingtons I've seen and shot, I dont see any reason why to spend all that extra money on a Weatherby.

I only bought 1 box of factory shells for my 300 RUM. I bought the 180g Partitions. Quick break in barrel process and brass was all I needed. However I did chronograph a couple and they were going 3250fps and they were grouping 1 inch at 100 yards. Not to bad for factory and cleaning inbetween every shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.