300 Weatherby or 300 RUM???

bearhtr2

I currently have both calibers but both are standard factory barrels. The weatherby is a Mark V deluxe and German. Sits in safe. The 300 Rum will shoot 1/2 moa at 200 yards currently. But I ran across a sweet deal on an 300 wby Accumark and just wanted thoughts on it........What would you guys do????

2, difference in powder capacity. Your German 300 is likely a 1:12 twist requiring lighter bullets. The Accumark is 1:10 allowing loads with heavier bullets than the German vintage. Since the RUM and Accumark are both 30 cal magnums, I'd pass on the the Accumark unless it can be turned for a profit. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Good info and I agree on the case capacity. Yes the German wby is more of a keepsake more than anything. It belonged to my cousin and he used out west hunting back in the 70's. He was killed in the 9-11 Attacks in one of the planes. So I keep to remember him. I want to take one time just to honor him and use on one more elk. I have a 340 Accumark now had an itch to have a little brother for it. ha ha. Just couldn't make my mind up if I actually needed it. Figured it might be worth more years down the road for my kids.

That's a sad story man. I hate that you lost your cousin in 9/11. That's rough. I would keep that gun as a keepsake and wouldn't modify it, but that's personal opinion.

As for buying a new Weatherby, I'll never spend another dime of my own money on another Accumark or Weatherby product. If someone were to give me a Weatherby, that's a different story, but I won't pay for another one.

For the money of another Accumark, you can build a custom 700 with a MUCH better aftermarket barrel.

I currently have both calibers but both are standard factory barrels. The weatherby is a Mark V deluxe and German. Sits in safe. The 300 Rum will shoot 1/2 moa at 200 yards currently. But I ran across a sweet deal on an 300 wby Accumark and just wanted thoughts on it........What would you guys do????
The RUM will do anything you want. I love the accumarks but would not spend the money on a .300wby owning a Rum already.

Thanks everyone. I am partial to Weatherby and Remington alike. Have several of both. I guess I should have asked which factory barrel do you think would last longer between the two???

Real question should always be "Which brass is better". With Bertram and others making RUM the choice is Easy

Thanks everyone. I am partial to Weatherby and Remington alike. Have several of both. I guess I should have asked which factory barrel do you think would last longer between the two???
If you like Remington, you should look into the 700 5R Milspec in .300 WinMag.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42393/Firearms/Rifles/Remington/Bolt+Action+Centerfire/Remington+Firearms+85505+700+5-R+Bolt+300+Winchester+Magnum+26+3+1+Synthetic+H

And if you want something in-between the .300 Wby and .300 RUM, then you can always have the chamber punched to .300 Ackley (.300 Weatherby Ackley Improved 40º). I had mine built in 2014, and love it. You fireform brand new .300 Wby brass, and it requires zero prep work on the brass. You just load a book starting load, and pull the trigger. Easiest wildcat there is to form brass for. Make sure that if you find a smith with a .300 Ackley reamer, that it doesn't have all the freebore that the Weatherby did. :cool:

Here is a .300 Wby (left) next to a .300 Ackley.

300 Ackley.jpg

Last edited:
If you like Remington, you should look into the 700 5R Milspec in .300 WinMag.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42393/Firearms/Rifles/Remington/Bolt+Action+Centerfire/Remington+Firearms+85505+700+5-R+Bolt+300+Winchester+Magnum+26+3+1+Synthetic+H

And if you want something in-between the .300 Wby and .300 RUM, then you can always have the chamber punched to .300 Ackley (.300 Weatherby Ackley Improved 40º). I had mine built in 2014, and love it. You fireform brand new .300 Wby brass, and it requires zero prep work on the brass. You just load a book starting load, and pull the trigger. Easiest wildcat there is to form brass for. Make sure that if you find a smith with a .300 Ackley reamer, that it doesn't have all the freebore that the Weatherby did. :cool:
There is/was a Gen2 milspec 300wm at a real steal of a deal a week or so back on the LRH classifieds.

I guess it boils down to whether you like Weatherby rifles.
I have several Weatherby chamberings..........not one is on a Weatherby rifle. All are on Model 70 S/S actions.
I have only 2 of my chamberings in use now, a 270Bee and 375Bee, my other barrels have been stored away.
I'm a 300WM fan, although I have a barrel in 300Bee I no longer use.
I think the RUM is a better deal, although I don't own one.

Cheers.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.