300 weatherby mag.

Hey Toddc, fyi any firearms manufacturer has to use saami spec weatherby freebore to avoid extreme chamber pressure spikes when using weatherby ammo, win, sako, rem, ruger, etc... they all have it unless you have a barrel custom chambered. As for the dials, I just dial up normalby counting or watching the numbers, never cared much for a dial based on a educated guess when so many things can affect your poi.
Makes sense, I heard that it was a weatherby issue that even was done on non weatherby cals to juice a little more velocity. I couldnt imagine any other manufacturer being retarded enough to do it. I guess the brass keeps me weatherby ignorant.

I have not measured it but have maxed out the oal to fit the mag minus .02 and they still have to jump. I consider this freebore.
Most vld bullets jammed wont fit in a mag. Just make sure you jam a bullet before you start buying different bullets. Itll save $$$.

I guess I'll take a stab st it. First powder. Your gun likes what your gun liks....BUT.... I have wrung out COUNTLESS 300 WBY's. For me and for "customers" . I have been hunting with them for25 years. It is the main cal I use in IBS 1000 yard BR. I end up on RL 25 almost exclusively since it came out. I have one match tube that I baught with two others that didn't quite measure up. It was still more accurat than about 99% of guns out there, but that extra 2 -3 inches at 1K is HUGE. Anyway I ended up making it my "hunting bbl". I did another round of load test with SPEED as my priority. I ended up on Retumbo....LOTS of retumbo. Accuracy is actually a touch better then with the RL 25. Will hold .5 - .6 MOA five shot groups at 1K all day long if the wind/mirague stay away. I am pushing a 210 Berger VLD out at 3275 fps....WAY in the red zone. My OAL is 3.90" ....WAY LONG. My point, I guess, is that if I was going to try something it would be RL 25 first. But H1000, RL22, and Retumbo are all fine choices.

Bullets....Since you probably do have lots of freebore, try the new Berger Hybirds. Maybe even the Newer Seirra offerings or the AMAX. They will be less sensitive to the seating depth issues you may have. As far as bullets/long range...its GO BIG OR GO HOME as far as I am concerned. Those big heavy high BC bullets just keep going and going and going and....

I use Fed 215 Match primers and Norma Brass. I wish Lapua made brass for it!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts