300 weatherby for large game like elk and bear???

Ive shot about 140 rounds through it and it doesnt kick bad. I learned kinda fast to hug it to me and that alist completey Elemenates the recoil. My family doesnt reload to my knowlege but ill ask them to be sure. I dont think any family owns any magnum rifles so ill have to see myself

You have gotten excellent advice. Don't fool yourself, you do not completely eliminate recoil. You either absorb it or redirect most of its energy to reduce the felt recoil. An effective muzzle brake design serves two purposes, reduction in felt recoil and reduction in muzzle rise. The reduction in muzzle rise is often overlooked, being able to spot your target on impact is priceless. For ~$100, you can have your barrel thread (i.e., 5-8/24") and you plenty of choices for an excellent self-indexing muzzle brake (or suppressor in the future) out in the market today. In case you have not seen this ....

My go-to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards remains the .300 Win Mag. I have a .30 LARA, which is basically an improved .300 WBTY.

.300 WM vs .300 WBTY vs .30 LARA.jpg

(L-R: .300 WM, .300 WBTY, and .30 LARA)

At 15, my best advice to you is to take your time and enjoy the learning process, esp. in long-range hunting. This forum has a lot of people that are always willing and able to help in providing you sound advice in your decision-making. What you do with them is entirely up to you.

We used to have a member that started the same age as you, IIRC, his screen name is @barnesuser28 (Riley), hopefully, he'll chime in.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
When i was his age i started hunting with a 243 lever action, no recoil pad. Took my first deer and elk with it. At 19 i bought a 300 wby and imo the recoil was less than the 243. It is a ultralight version but has a brake and good recoil pad. Everyone that shoots it cant believe how comfortable it is to shoot. In the last 15 years or so its taken deer elk and bear. Probably around 40 animals. Including my wifes first elk at 450yds. Its a pleasure to shoot. I would say go for it! Ps. Mine is up for grabs and will include brass and dies.

I have shot a 300 weatherby for 15 years. Killed elk at 400+ yards.... That being said, I'm 6-5, 230#... The recoil is real. I didn't get it till after college. I would not recommend it at 15...
I would start with a 270 or 06, and work your way into the mag arena as you put on more size. 270 and 06 will have taken more elk and bear than all other cartridges combined...

Unless you going for griz you will be just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.