300 weatherby for large game like elk and bear???

K98K

I was considering getting a 300 weatherby mag for elk deer bear etc. Is this good or do I need a 340 weatherby mag for bear and larger game? It' just sooooo much money for 340 weatherby mag ammo

Depending on what bear species your going after. 300 weatherby is plenty for black bears. My buddy's daughter killed a big ole bore with a little pink savage 243 win.
One of my guys this year brought a 300 weatherby for his elk hunt and with a 180 partition knocked a 6x6 on his *** at 416 yards

Ok thats good cause 300 weatherby magnum ammo is cheaper and when I get it if I do I will be 15 so I dont want an overly large rifle. I will probably be hunting our wimpy florida black bear for my first bear hunts

I was giving an example of what a 300 weatherby can do. I'm with ya on the creedmore, I've killed one at 150 yards and my wife killed hers at 330. My buddy killed his 300" bull at 423 yards with the same rifle and a 143 eld x.
It's all how you hit them and with what bullet. Elk are tough and deserve to treated with that respect.

Ok thats good cause 300 weatherby magnum ammo is cheaper and when I get it if I do I will be 15 so I dont want an overly large rifle. I will probably be hunting our wimpy florida black bear for my first bear hunts

A 300 weatherby has a ton of recoil to deal with. Unless you have done a lot of shooting with a heavy recoiling rifle and are comfortable with it I think you'd be better off with say a 30-06.

I have a factory 700 Remington in .300 Weatherby, I believe it was 1989 that Remington chambered that year's classic offering in that caliber. Shot an 800-900 lb. 6x6 at 150 yards using factory Weatherby brand cartridges, 200 gr Nosler Partitions. They chronographed between 2900 and 3000 fps. The animal was quartering towards me going right to left. Bullet hit just forward of the left shoulder. The rear core of the bullet was intact and in the right hindquarter, less than two inches from exiting completely. The front core had come apart, not surprising after crashing through that much tissue. Any caliber that can nearly go through a good sized elk lengthwise has some punch. The 300 Weatherby and a premium bullet will do very well for elk.

.........Ok thats good cause 300 weatherby magnum ammo is cheaper and when I get it if I do I will be 15 so I dont want an overly large rifle. I will probably be hunting our wimpy florida black bear for my first bear hunts...........

You added a couple of parameters, the .300 Weatherby qualifies as an overly large rifle for what your situation requires. I'd get a rifle that meets your current needs, chambered for something with a lot cheaper ammo.

You probably don't need a weatherby, 300 or otherwise. Bullet placement is more critical than caliber. I have seen elk killed with everything from 260s to 338 win mags. A good bullet placed well out of a 270 or '06 will do great. I watched a buddy of mine kill two cows with two shots out of a .308 win loaded with 150gr. Barnes ttsx bullets this year neither made it more than 20 yards. The same guy killed a 5x5 bull at 310 yards the year before with the same rifle.

Do yourself a favor get a rifle with less recoil than a 300weatherby to start with.

The .300 is more than enough gun. Just use good bullets, and practice enough to be confident all all ranges you plan on shooting at. Best of luck and most of all, have fun!

Tony.

Since you are 15 I assume you are not a huge person. A 300 Wby can have some kick to it but with a muzzle brake it is totally manageable. I have a 270 Win that kicks worse than the 300 wby with a brake.
You can kill anything in north America with a 300 WBY. You can get 150 grain bullets at about 3500 fps or 180 grain bullets at over 3100 fps. It is still expensive ammo but Barnes Vor-Tex with TTSX bullets ammo is reasonably priced. If you want better brass for reloading Weatherby ammo is the way to go but you will pay a premium price.
See if can find someone you know with a 300 and try it before you buy it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts