300 weatherby and retumbo

up4trein1

i am wanting to try retumbo powder in my 300 weatherby to push a 178 gr amax bullet. i am having trouble finding what weight of powder charge to start at. just looking for any help. thanks

You'll have trouble getting enough Retumbo in the case to get the pressure up. If you bump up to at least a 200 grain bullet you'd be in business. You could use it, but you wouldn't obtain the performance that the 300 Wby is capable of with a 180 class bullet. Try something around the burn rate of H1000, H4831 or IMR7828 for the 180 class bullets. Retumbo is a bit slow in this application. H1000 is borderline, but it will probably get you some fantastic performance with that bullet.

A good example is shown on the Hodgdon data site. It shows Retumbo as being a compressed load with a 200 grain bullet. If you must use Retumbo, try loading something in the 210-250 grain range of 308 bullets.

havent much luck with those powders. i can adjust for drop if i can gat the gun to group. thats why i want to try the retumbo. ive found a couple of loads just trying get more input

In the Hodgdon yearly manual they show 80-85 grains as the range for 200 grain pills with your roy. I'd go there with your 178's and see what happens. My brother did this in his 300 win and it made a very good load. It wasn't that slow either, over 3100 fps on a 180 aint bad in a 300win.

havent much luck with those powders. i can adjust for drop if i can gat the gun to group. thats why i want to try the retumbo. ive found a couple of loads just trying get more input

Your poor grouping may be the bullet, not the powders. Generally speaking rifles like - or don't like - certain bullets. The powders then tune the load. I found an excellent post by Kirby Allen ( I believe) who reviewed this. My limited experience as well as discussions with others seems to confirm this.

I just went through this with a rifle. It wouldn't group 3 different bullets but when I tried the 4th one - Wow!

So, consider a bullet change instead.

Your poor grouping may be the bullet, not the powders. Generally speaking rifles like - or don't like - certain bullets. The powders then tune the load. I found an excellent post by Kirby Allen ( I believe) who reviewed this. My limited experience as well as discussions with others seems to confirm this.

I just went through this with a rifle. It wouldn't group 3 different bullets but when I tried the 4th one - Wow!

So, consider a bullet change instead.
+1
Dr. Vette is right-- some barrels simply do NOT care for some bullets. Sometimes switching between single base(IMR/Hodgdon) and double base(RL) powders helps a lot, sometimes not.

I am relatively new to this forum, but I've read this thread many times. Since it's obviously more than 12 years old, I was hoping for more information and results from using Retumbo with a 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullet. I'm currently using Reloder 25, but I can't find it anywhere in stock. I was going to try IMR 7828, but I can't find it either. I have Retumbo on hand and the data starts with a 200 grain pill. The Barnes TTSX 180gr is typically longer than the average 180 grain pill, so it should compress really well (as much or more than a lead core 200grain). I'm just wondering if anyone else is currently using a similar load?

I am relatively new to this forum, but I've read this thread many times. Since it's obviously more than 12 years old, I was hoping for more information and results from using Retumbo with a 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullet. I'm currently using Reloder 25, but I can't find it anywhere in stock. I was going to try IMR 7828, but I can't find it either. I have Retumbo on hand and the data starts with a 200 grain pill. The Barnes TTSX 180gr is typically longer than the average 180 grain pill, so it should compress really well (as much or more than a lead core 200grain). I'm just wondering if anyone else is currently using a similar load?
You might want to start a separate thread specifically geared to answer your query. Otherwise, it will get buried.