300 weatherby ammo

MObowhunter10

What ammo shoots the best for the 300 weatherby cartridge? I like the bergers but read that the segond ogive shape of the bergers do not take well to the free bore of the 300 weatherby? Maybe thats just nonsense, but I am a new shooter and need some help. Thanks!

The barnes ttsx shoot extremely well in wby rifles. I have killed game with Barnes ttsx bullets further than most people would ever shoot at one. Best thing to do with the Bergers is try a box and see. Some rifles shoot them well and some don't. Like anything else you just got to try several. I have a 300 wby that shoots the 190 grain berger very well. But overall the Barnes ttsx shoot the best in wby rifles.

My 300 WBY likes Nosler Partition 180 gr flat base bullets. Never liked boat tail bullets but now LTLR has me trying ttsx bullets with his post. Always looking for the next best thing. 78 gr IMR7828 was my load with nosler Partition.

I agree, Flat base or bullets with simple boattail designs are easier to get to shoot well. Agressive boattail designs like the vld type bullets require more headache to get to shoot well.

I have had an idea all day why the cutting edge bullets shot so well out of my 338-378 this morning. I think it could be the bore alignment band cut into the ce bullets. It is a larger diameter band that lines the bullet up with the bore as it travels into the lands. therefore in the freebore chamber it should shoot better by keeping the bullet lined up with the lands as it enters the barrel. The CE bullet is a very agressive design with extreme bc's. It should be hard to shoot in a freebore rifle however it does great in mine. Maybe it is the band.

Barnes bullets and the CE bullet like to be seated off the lands so they are a natural fit for the wby rifles. I am trying them in my 338 RUM later this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts