300 wby vs 300 win mag

Still makes me laugh! Comparing a wildcat to a factory round!
Wildcat cartridges, sometimes referred to as simply "wildcats," are custom-designed cartridges – meaning they are not mass produced, but instead made by individual shooters. The purpose of a wildcat is the cultivation of some attribute not sufficiently present in a commercially available round. Wildcats aren't great for law enforcement or military purposes, but they are great for hardcore shooting aficionados, handloaders looking to take things to the next level, and gunsmiths who want to homebrew ammunition for their homebrew weapons.

Argh!! ^^

Is this in regard to my 300WM 3.62" COAL rifle? The bold & underline was from me.

I use .300 WM mass produced brass loaded to a 3.62" COAL in my chamber and brass dimensions remain unchanged. The rifle has ".300 Winchester Magnum" printed on the barrel. Important that head space be taken on shoulder vs. belt.

3 Hours ago, I shot about a .75-inch group at 200 using the 178 Hornady ELD bullet with 75.5 grains of VN 165 and then blasted 3 " steel at 300, 3 consecutive hits. (bang-zip-splat!) - 71.5 grains of 4000MR perform almost as well. Without this interesting thread the rifle would probably be stashed in the back of my gun safe. This rifle was put together by a smith who won the Wimbleton cup 1X (Hornady bullets, .300WM, extended COAL) and was an armorer for the US Palma team. The rifle is 52 years old & the Hart 10 twist barrel is about 30 years old. The Mauser bolt stop/ejector has been modified to allow a 3.62 " loaded round to be removed from the 3.34 COAL intended rifle by partially pulling the bolt. Fired brass needs to be removed by index finger. Fearing erosion, I carefully ration use, but this thread induced me to shoot it today. FN should have made it without the ejector cut thru the left side bolt lug.

Last edited:
Toss them both and go 300 Super. Fireformed from 300 WBY. Here's one from JK Cloward
JK Cloward 300 Super
So is it shooting the 300 WBY or what? I am not familiar with it.
Now if you want to talk supermags, you got the 300 RUM and the 30-378...but to
Argh!! ^^

Is this in regard to my 300WM 3.62" COAL rifle? The bold & underline was from me.

I use .300 WM mass produced brass loaded to a 3.62" COAL in my chamber and brass dimensions remain unchanged. The rifle has ".300 Winchester Magnum" printed on the barrel. Important that head space be taken on shoulder vs. belt.

3 Hours ago, I shot about a .75-inch group at 200 using the 178 Hornady ELD bullet with 75.5 grains of VN 165 and then blasted 3 " steel at 300, 3 consecutive hits. (bang-zip-splat!) - 71.5 grains of 4000MR perform almost as well. Without this interesting thread the rifle would probably be stashed in the back of my gun safe. This rifle was put together by a smith who won the Wimbleton cup 1X (Hornady bullets, .300WM, extended COAL) and was an armorer for the US Palma team. The rifle is 52 years old & the Hart 10 twist barrel is about 30 years old. The Mauser bolt stop/ejector has been modified to allow a 3.62 " loaded round to be removed from the 3.34 COAL intended rifle by partially pulling the bolt. Fired brass needs to be removed by index finger. Fearing erosion, I carefully ration use, but this thread induced me to shoot it today. FN should have made it without the ejector cut thru the left side bolt lug.
MY factory MKV 300 WBY shouts 180 grn Barnes TSX 0.43 at 200 yards.
I can Load Long on my WBY MKV, I can go 3.8 instead of the 3.56 standard, and it will Still Beat the 300 Win. There is nothing the 300 win will do that the 300 wby can not do at a higher velocity. And I don't need to "customise it" or load it beyond to the original design.
Like Fotis says, "There is no replacement for displacement" I hope I quoted him right.

So is it shooting the 300 WBY or what? I am not familiar with it.
Now if you want to talk supermags, you got the 300 RUM and the 30-378...but to

MY factory MKV 300 WBY shouts 180 grn Barnes TSX 0.43 at 200 yards.
I can Load Long on my WBY MKV, I can go 3.8 instead of the 3.56 standard, and it will Still Beat the 300 Win. There is nothing the 300 win will do that the 300 wby can not do at a higher velocity. And I don't need to "customise it" or load it beyond to the original design.
Like Fotis says, "There is no replacement for displacement" I hope I quoted him right.
I can Load Long on my WBY MKV, I can go 3.8 instead of the 3.56 standard, and it will Still Beat the 300 Win.

Read what you write.
An old saying" let them assume you do not know what you are talking about rather than confirm it by typing it!

I sometimes worry about dropping the FN Mauser bolt in the dirt when I need to pull it to extract a 3.6 inch loaded round. My FN BR action was designed to push feed 3.34-inch rounds yet has a controlled feed bolt face, no magazine & an extractor that won't pop over rims (like KAR98's). The extractor needs modification for any cartridge.

Revived enthusiasm for the .300 WM has driven me to get another. Most likely a Rem 700, LA, magnum either BDL or ADL. Lots of visits to LGS's & pawn shops. If a BDL, I will put the bottom metal up for sale on LRH. Steel trigger guard to replace aluminum or other. McGowen 28" light Palma barrel, 8 or 10 twist (do I need to shoot 225's?) receiver face squared & lugs lapped. Leu or Warne steel Pic rail, Score High aluminum follower epoxy glued to plug magazine opening. Timney trigger. Some type of Richard's laminated (wood) thumb hole target stock. Efforts to stockpile a modest pile of .300 WM brass have commenced. Ram Shot Magnum powder in leu of H1000. I will still need to pull bolt to extract a 3.6 inch loaded round unless I can find a beater .300 RUM.

I am real olde & many others can shoot better groups than I can. My Hart .300 WM barrel is real old, slightly over 30 YO. I shoot many rounds per month & my modest shooting budget encourages me to acquire items that are more commonly used, like rifle brass. 😇

heads up to those of you looking for 300 Weathery Mag brass

Grafs has Peterson brass in stock at this time ... I just ordered some more to neck up for my 340 Wby Sako TRG-S rifle,

git some now or miss out again !

3390C1DD-0B3F-4A89-B992-36F3CCFC3676.jpeg

I don't know what I missed here, but......

30-338 LM AI?

Animated GIF

What's the point in having a Savage if you don't have at least one stupid barrel to spin on it?