300 wby vanguard 24" vs 26" barrel?

otis332

My computer is moving slow tonight, so I had a hard time searching. I am looking at a 300 wby vanguard with a 24" barrel. Chance to get it brand new for a real great price. Reason I want the wby is because of the ballistics of this round over the 300 win. I can push a larger bullet with more umph and get more down range energy at longer shots.

Here's the question. Is a 24" barrel that much less on balistics than a 26" barrel? I know that Weatherby measures there standards off a 26" barrel, but I have also read with a 24" barrel there is not much gained with the WBY over the Winmag is this true or just someone's bad opinion? What do you thinK?

My computer is moving slow tonight, so I had a hard time searching. I am looking at a 300 wby vanguard with a 24" barrel. Chance to get it brand new for a real great price. Reason I want the wby is because of the ballistics of this round over the 300 win. I can push a larger bullet with more umph and get more down range energy at longer shots.

Here's the question. Is a 24" barrel that much less on balistics than a 26" barrel? I know that Weatherby measures there standards off a 26" barrel, but I have also read with a 24" barrel there is not much gained with the WBY over the Winmag is this true or just someone's bad opinion? What do you thinK?

Go 26 inch. That is what I got in the Mark V. When I rebarrel I am going to 30inch.

I handload with slow burning powders and 2 inches can come close to 100 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.