300 Wby Mag

jaw719

Was just gifted a Japanese Weatherby Mark V deluxe in 300 Wby mag and would like to know a little more about it. I'm hoping to plan an elk hunt next year and was wondering how accurate this round is out to different distances. What type of round works best with a 24" barrel, best bullet grain weight etc. Thanks.

I do not know much about your particular rifle model but I have a Sako 330Wby with a 24in. barrel. With mine I have always shot 180gr Barnes bullets using the TTSX now. Using RL19 my load is dping 3250 which surprised me as the barrel is only 34in long. The accuracy is inch or less depending on the day but very respectable I think. Hope this helps some and good luck on your Elk hunt your 300 is up to the task.

I'm hoping to plan an elk hunt next year and was wondering how accurate this round is out to different distances. What type of round works best with a 24" barrel, best bullet grain weight etc.

It sounds like you don't reload, true?

Accuracy is determined by your own personal abilities and the ammunition used along with about 100 other variables but these are the big ones.

If you're using factory ammunition then the accuracy can be tested by buying and shooting various loads under somewhat controlled circumstances.

If you reload, then it's picking your components, loading and testing.

The .30 caliber cartridges are living in tall cotton these days with an extensive range of bullets styles and construction.

I reload for the .300 WBY and use either the 180 grain Berger Elite hunter or the 215 grain Berger Hybrid. There are others to choose from certainly.

Enjoy the process!:D

It sounds like you don't reload, true?

Accuracy is determined by your own personal abilities and the ammunition used along with about 100 other variables but these are the big ones.

If you're using factory ammunition then the accuracy can be tested by buying and shooting various loads under somewhat controlled circumstances.

If you reload, then it's picking your components, loading and testing.

The .30 caliber cartridges are living in tall cotton these days with an extensive range of bullets styles and construction.

I reload for the .300 WBY and use either the 180 grain Berger Elite hunter or the 215 grain Berger Hybrid. There are others to choose from certainly.

Enjoy the process!:D

Correct I don't reload, was hoping someone on here had a rifle similar to mine that could give me some direction on what factory loads work well. Thanks for the info.

Correct I don't reload, was hoping someone on here had a rifle similar to mine that could give me some direction on what factory loads work well. Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately every rifle is an individual all its own so buying and testing is your path. Generally though there are certain bullets which have achieved a name by being accurate in more than one caliber/cartridge. Bergers are synonymous with accuracy as are the Hornday ELD-X as reported by some. I've used Sierra, Remington Core-Lokt, Nosler Partition and probably 1/2 dozen others in testing with good results.

719, most Mark Vs I've seen have 26" barrels. The Vanguards have 24". As a caliber, the 300 Wby can be quite accurate depending on barrel condition/quality, load, scope, trigger, stock, shooter etc. An accurate 300 Wby will kill an elk easily out to as far as you are confident shooting. Find an accurate load and practice at various distances. The Howa made Mark V rifles are in some ways better than some earlier US made.
Good luck

I am literally shooting a 300 weatherby Vanguard right now. It is cooling off between shot strings.

Every rifle is different.

Today I shot 4 different loads. 3 handloads, 1 factory.

Factory 180gr Nosler Partition. = Shot ok, but nothing special.

Berger 210gr HVLD = didn't group that well.

Berger 185gr Classic hunter = showing promise. About MOA @200 yards.

Barnes 150gr TTSX = best so far shooting MOA or better.

Buy several boxes of different ammo and see what the rifle seems to like. Then buy more of that and practice.

Last edited:
I would figure out what twist barrel you have, atleast try the patch on a cleaning rod method. If it's a 10 you could probably shoot up to the 215. If it's a 11 the I would stay around the 180's

I have had a couple of the Japanese 300s one with the 24 and one with the 26 inch barrel. I am not up on what is available from the factory, but both of my wood stocked Mark Vs were finicky except for TSXs. I have gifted both rifles but still load for them, and they both love 130 and 165 grain TSX and 168 TTSX and with very little coaxing, meaning most of the powder combinations and charge weights gave acceptable to fantastic results. The 180s were a little more difficult to get great groups with but still shot OK eventually. If Weatherby offers Barnes TSX I'd start there.

My Son's both shoot Weatherby's. The youngest has a .300 with a 26 inch
barrel and it seems to shoot anything I load for him. Around 1 inch at a
100 yards most all the time.
Zeke

Was just gifted a Japanese Weatherby Mark V deluxe in 300 Wby mag and would like to know a little more about it. I'm hoping to plan an elk hunt next year and was wondering how accurate this round is out to different distances. What type of round works best with a 24" barrel, best bullet grain weight etc. Thanks.
My favorite Elk cartridge is the .300 Wby Mag. I hav found the 180 grain

Grongratulations on your gift!
I have hunted with the .300 Wby mag since 1978. My favorite Elk cartridge is the .300 Wby Mag. I have tested various rifle cartridges and testing proves hydrostatic shock is more important than absolute energy. To that end, the .300 Wby is excellent with with a 24 inch or 26 inch barrel. I have found the Barnes TTSX, the 180 grain Accubond and the 180 grain Ballistic Tip all provide consistent, accurate performance out to 700 + yards with outstanding hydrostatic shock. I have found 220 grain bullets do not provide the same hydrostatic shock as the 1980 grain bullets as they are launched at slower velocities. My 120 pound wife owns and hunts with her own .300 Wby mag. So, with a recoil pad and proper placement of the stock, away from the shoulder, the .300 can be a joy to shoot. Both my wife and I have harvested Deer, Elk, Bear, Antelope and Caribou with the .300.

If you don't reload I've found Weatherby's own 300 winmag ammo to be quite accurate - at least for the 2 I've owned. If memory serves me on their ammo boxes they have info of what type of game the particular bullet was good for

I was gifted a .300 also. It's a full custom built Mountain Rifles Inc. based on a Rem. 700. I received a couple boxes of custom loads for the rifle with it. I have loaded 168gr. generic/seconds. 168 gr. Barnes as well as 180 gr. Barnes and 180 gr. Scirocco. All the hand loads gave me the same results as the unknown custom loads. It's not the most scientific test as I don't have a measured, controlled range over 100 yds but it will pretty much disintegrate a fist sized to cantaloupe sized rocks at 300-325 yds. It doesn't matter what I feed it, it likes it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.