300 WBY Loads

joelbiltz

Can anyone tell me how to safely get the same velocity out of a 300 Wby with 180 gr tripleshock that weatherby gets out of their 180 gr barnes x factory loads. Dose anyone know what powder weatherby uses in their factory loads. Thanks Joel

Its realy easy all you have to do is lie !!

No in realaty I have never gotten the published velocity out of any Weatherby factory ammo thats with a 257 , 270 and 300 Wby. I'm not sure if they are just fudgeing the data or if their have fast barrels. here is what works in my Mark V , 1-10" twist 26" barrel

85gr of IMR-7828 = 3130fps avg
86gr of IMR-7828 = 3196fps avg Most accurate but hot load

88gr of H-1000 = 2992fps avg , good accuracy
89gr of H-1000 = 3032fps avg , not as accurate as above.

All loads were seated out as far as the magazine would allow , not sure but I think that all of these loads are close or above max from the Nosler #5 book so start low.

My most accurate load I have found to date has been with the new 200gr Nosler Accubonds

84grs of IMR-7828 = 3041fps avg , warm load , very accurate
82grs of IMR-7828 = 2966fps avg , no pressure,very accurate

88grs of H-1000 = 3022fps avge , no pressure , comperssed
Most accurate load

All these were made up in fire formed neck sized Winchester brass all loaded with Fed 215M primers and seated out as far as the magazine would allow.
Personaly the 200gr accubond would be my choice for anything in this rifle , its an accurate bullet , will expand at all velocities yet retain enough weight and power to give good penitration on a big bull even if the angle wasen't perfect. I did some testing with the 130gr TSX at high velocities a while back and diden't care for them to much they just diden't offer the expansion that I wanted , I fear that at a reduced velocity the heavier ones woulden't open much at all.

get just about the same vel. as JDJ but shoot another easy load--80 gr, h4831 gives me 3005 on my chrony.

In my 300wby 84.5/IMR7828 gives 3055fps with 180 gr bullet I test some factory 180gr and got 3164fps. I'm going to try some of the new IMR7828sc if I can find some. I can match factory velocity in my rifle with 86/IMR7828 but in my rifle that is a max load. Well good luck.

Make sure you state which cases you're using. There is 10 grains powder capacity difference between Remington brass an real Weatherby brass. In my 23" barreled German I shoot 89 grains if IMR7828 and get 3250 fps with 180 grain Partitions. That load would be way over in any other brass. My test brass have gone 10 firings so they are okay in my old gun. I'm certain that if I had the 26" barrel 3300 would be real easy. I just can't bring myself to rebarrel it with how it shoots. Yeah, it leaves a slight extractor mark but so does the factory ammo. Shoots like this most of the time if I do my part. Subtract .308 to see what I mean.
SVI_300Weatherby351group.jpg
german300deluxe9tg.th.jpg

Personally I've loaded lots of rem and weatherby brass in my 300 wby and never seen 10 grains difference in the brass. For me at most it's been 3--maybe 4. Not sure what kind of brass lots you got but its different from anything I've run accross. As far as my velocity goes I think I have a pretty fast 300 wby. 85 grains with a 180 par will give me right on 3300 fps and pushing to 86 grains gives me pressure signs and 3350. This is out of a jap built 26" mark V "Alaskan". This gun has been a flawless shooter for me over the years and probably one of the last guns in my safe I'd like to part with.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I've loaded lots of rem and weatherby brass in my 300 wby and never seen 10 grains difference in the brass. For me at most it's been 3--maybe 4. Not sure what kind of brass lots you got but its different from anything I've run accross. As far as my velocity goes I think I have a pretty fast 300 wby. 85 grains with a 180 par will give me right on 3300 fps and pushing to 86 grains gives me pressure signs and 3350. This is out of a jap built 26" mark V "Alaskan". This gun has been a flawless shooter for me over the years and probably one of the last guns in my safe I'd like to part with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur!

For those of you interested, I loaded up 84.5 gr of IMR 7828 in my 26 in 300 wby and I got a velocity of 3228 Fps and a .5 MOA at 100 yds. I am very happy with this load. It will be going on a Plains deer and elk hunt in colorado this fall with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.